Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The TV show and Movie Mentioning Thread
I downloaded it from http://www.thebox.bz/main.php in the documentary section but you need to register as a member. Its free but in order to keep your account you do need to seed a little of what you download. I have no problem with this being in japan and having an awesome bandwidth.

For anyone British out there, or anyone interested in UK television, I highly recommend this site because you can find pretty much everything that is broadcasted in the UK within 1 or 2 days of being aired.
[Image: Camouflage3.jpg]
Checked it out this evening.
Well made. I didn't mind it, but I found it pretty disturbing.
The payoff was heart breaking.
I had to take everything that was being said with a grain of salt in that scene.

It was interesting to see how the Afghan people responded to US involvement, and I thought that the treatment of Afghan soldiers was a bit disrespectful and holier that though.

One of the final scenes where the sniper takes a shot at the cameraman is pretty intense as well.

I have mixed feelings, but am glad I watched it.
Thanks for the recommendation Tobo.
Requires invite to join... where did you get it Ginga?
see my post bottom of last page.
Informative indeed!
Just saw the Dispatches documentary yesterday... it was strange. Somehow I kept trying to find the precise title of the documentary to check its legitimacy, it felt a little staged at times, but maybe it was just me.

Content wise, nothing too surprising, it's actually quite close to how my father described his fighting experience and guerilla war when he was in Lebanon, and it's scary stuff for sure.

The thing is, Astan is and Islamic country, so Taliban are just a group a tad more extremist than the local government in itself. So when you got "crusaders" coming over hunting down Muslims (Taliban), even if the latter were technically oppressing the population, the local people will tend to side with who they know and share their religion, and that's logical, you can't expect something else. I don't know if you see what I mean, but that's what happens in religious countries.
Anyone watch Generation Kill?
(19-11-2010, 10:24 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: Anyone watch Generation Kill?

Yeah, probably one of my fav HBO miniseries. It had a really solid cast, and great performances all around. I feel like it got overlooked, which is a shame.
Yup, was pretty cool, liked it a lot. "Stay frosty!" ^^

Generation Kill - awesome stuff. Although I have never experienced military life or combat, many reviewers that (claim they) are Iraq veterans give the series very good reviews.

Another one that I enjoyed was "Over There" - another series about the war and the experiences of both the soldiers and the families left back home. I thought the series was great, but apparently people felt that viewers weren't ready for this ugly of a story and it was pulled.

I enjoyed and highly recommend both!

Edit: note that Generation Kill is based off actual marines and even had a few of the original marines playing themselves in the series. Over There is a fictionalized story with 'made up' characters.

Another movie worth mentioning is Shadow Company - a documentary about Private Military Companies. There are a few ridiculously graphic scenes (e.g. burned, charred, mutilated, exploded, etc bodies), but if your stomach can take those scenes, then I'd highly recommend this one as well. Very interesting to learn about the PMC world and what they do and what they go through etc.
(19-11-2010, 11:03 PM)psycho Wrote: Another movie worth mentioning is Shadow Company - a documentary about Private Military Companies. There are a few ridiculously graphic scenes (e.g. burned, charred, mutilated, exploded, etc bodies), but if your stomach can take those scenes, then I'd highly recommend this one as well. Very interesting to learn about the PMC world and what they do and what they go through etc.

Shadow Company is a great doc. Caught it at a film festival back in Canada and then immediately pre-ordered the DVD when I got home. Really breaks down the complicated world of the modern PMC.

I also recommend reading Big Boy Rules and Making a Killing (the biography of James Ashcroft, the PMC who narrates Shadow Company).
You guys ever watched 'Ultimate Force' ? SAS drama co-created by Chris Ryan. I like it a lot, the first 2 season's are great but after the 2nd season Ryan and half the actors left the show and it slowly goes downhill.

Here is a pack of SAS/military reletaed stuff I uploaded to Demonoid if anyone is interested: http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2408469/62330328/

P.S. Has anyone seen Restrepo yet? I can up a 720 version if anyone is interested.
yes, I saw restrepo. Very good documentary in my view
Yeah have the Restrepo blu-ray. Quality wasn't exactly as if your watching Toy Story 3, but guess it was good considering the filming circumstances, gear and situation. Good documentary, but not as much action as I was expecting or hoping for based off the trailers.

I would recommend the movie and the related book "War" (per my earlier posts). Thought they provided an interesting look into the groups' lives and actions over there. I actually liked the book better.

The Muss - TKO is not a fileshare site and does not promote any type of copyrightrled material fileshare. Thanks.
I just watched "The Town", the Ben Affleck directed bank robbery film. Pretty good movie, and there is some great shoot outs in it. No special effects or slow motion or weird spinning camera angles. Just some good scenes of dudes tearing it up with automatic weapons. Reminded me of "Heat" but in Boston.