Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOPMOD tune question.
Hi !

I am in process of tuning of sopmod for my friend and looks like I've got some problem.

In the begining I will show the list of parts installed:
laylax piston head
laylax cylinder head
laylax spring guide
laylax nozzle
laylax cylinder type C
noname hardened piston (steel teeth)
noname hardened gears (steel type) with the same ratio as standard.
guarder 110SP spring cuted

All this parts were installed and look like everything work fine. But battery life is much shorter then were before changes.
Battery is custom 9.6V 1300mAh.
And I've changed all the wires in sopmod to more thicker.

My own sopmod has the same setup besides noname hardened piston (steel teeth) and noname hardened gears (steel type) and it can fire much longer.

So, now i want to ask experienced members what can be wrong ?
why the battery life so short ?

After my friend's sopmod locked I've been tried his battery in my sopmod and it can fire easily.
Battery life would be affected by how much harder the motor needs to work to do a single shot. If you're using all the same parts as yours one thing to look out for is the shimming on the mechbox, try only installing the bearings and gears and spin it manually with your fingers, it should be able to free cycle for 3-4 revolutions.
I agree with Anarchy. If you didn't re-shim after changing the gears it may be a problem as the stock shim setting is on the tight side. Some unnecessary contact may also be present which will come back to an issue of shim settings.

The lack of "break-in" may also be an issue, since you changed the piston and gears. The piston may be slightly tighter in the mechbox.
Thanks a lot for yours help.

Yesterday I've done shim work. Looks like now gears installed perfect. Free play as small as possible. And gears rotate by finger very easy. And I returned two original gears besides sector gear.
Now the only difference in our sopmods is hardened piston and hardened sector gear.
Battery could fire about 800-900 shots. Maybe it is ok for this setup ?
But my sopmod still can fire much more on the same battery.
I suppose that it is because of full metal teeth on the piston. Looks like it is much harder for motor to cycle hardened piston.
What do you think ?
Have you noted any difference in the cycling or the firing rate? It may be an indication of additional effort for the system which causes the higher battery consumption.

Try this: close the mechbox without the gears, only putting the piston and cylinder assembly. Pull and push the piston from the cylinder to simulate the cycle, and see if it takes more effort to pull the hardened piston from the mechbox compared to the normal piston. You will have to figure out a way to pull it out since you've already replaced the normal spring.
(16-03-2010, 01:23 PM)Hazard Wrote: Have you noted any difference in the cycling or the firing rate? It may be an indication of additional effort for the system which causes the higher battery consumption.

Try this: close the mechbox without the gears, only putting the piston and cylinder assembly. Pull and push the piston from the cylinder to simulate the cycle, and see if it takes more effort to pull the hardened piston from the mechbox compared to the normal piston. You will have to figure out a way to pull it out since you've already replaced the normal spring.

Fire rate is the same as mine sopmod. Both uses 9.6V bat.
Piston slide very good in mechbox. It was also tested last time.
If shooting done without upper receiver it can fire much longer by the way. And last time I disassembled mechbox where was no signs of any friction troubles. But looks like some friction exist somewhere.
Today I heard of cutting one gear on piston. Do you know something about this ?
I suppose it will help motor to cycle easily but I think it will reduce velocity of bullet.

What do you think ?
altering the piston and increasing rof isnt the answer here..

your fitting parts which thus far i havent heard of anyone trying... my suggestion would be to go back to the original TM gears, orginal piston and make sure the spring is the same length as the original sopmod spring.

Some times parts just dont work together with other parts..

That or you keep persisting and trying to balance the shimming and get all the parts meshing without excess resistance.. my advice would be to just go back..

if you must have hardened gears riots doing some new ones over at airsofts mechanics, might be better than your current ones.