Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TM Tracer vs. JG ACM Tracer
Hey Guys.

One of the first things that I purchased in Japan, as far as airsoft goes, was a Tokyo Marui Tracer unit. It costed me 9800Yen about $92USD at the time. If I had to rank the top 3 coolest airsoft gadgetsIt would go like this [1] TM Tracer unit and bb's [2] 40mm bb showers [3] Gas blowback anything.

It is so much fun to shoot with a tracer unit. TM BB's in particular are made of a brittle plastic that shatters on impact, scattering micro glowing bb fragments everywhere. An onlooker would swear you just fired a star wars Blaster.

The main thing that kept me from buying the TM unit in the past was price(and at first the plastic construction, but they are now aluminum).

Ebay Banned released their All China Made TM Clone Tracer Unit. At $38.50 shipped I figured I can't go wrong. At the very least I can duel wield my AEP's while shooting Tracers(I know I am a nerd)

I got mine today and I decided to compare the two, just in case anyone else was thinking about picking one up.

First of all here they are...(Marui left, ACM right)
[Image: IMG_2572.jpg]

The main thing that I noticed right off of the bat with the ACM was the piss poor finish. It was incomplete and inconsistant and rough around the edges. Not a huge deal or anything a spraycan couldn't fix, but next to the Marui it just looked bad.

Looking in from the top, The ACM unit wasn't lined up properly compared to the Marui. Again what did I expect? But, it does work so whatever...
[Image: IMG_2575.jpg]

The outside was knurled similarly to The Marui but was again half assed and misaligned at points. It still serves it's purpose so this is nitpicking if you will but it still shows the difference in quality.
[Image: IMG_2579.jpg]

Here they are opened up, The threading and finish on the ACM are lacking once again, but again it is still functional
[Image: IMG_2576.jpg]

The battery compartment, pretty on PAR with each other with the only visible difference being the plastic casting and the copper quality.
[Image: IMG_2580.jpg]

Looking at the switches you can see the difference in external quality and finish. The O-ring on the ACM is not colored nor does it sit deep enough to protect the inner switch from dust and debris. Pushing the ACM button is scratchy and course where as the Marui clicks in and out positively and as smooth as butter. But once again, they both function.
[Image: IMG_2581.jpg]

Ok Golgo, have you bitched enough about the externals? It was only $38 bux right? Right! So the real test, How well does it perform?????!

Test subject, TM VZ61 using .2g marui tracer bb's...
[Image: IMG_2586.jpg]

Here is a stream of ten bb's from the Marui. Well lit and easily kept up with the 20 RPS ROF of teh Skorp.
[Image: IMG_2587.jpg]

here is a stream of about 10 bb's from the ACM unit. Obviously the Marui one is brighter, but it was able to keep up with the 20RPS ROF.
[Image: IMG_2588.jpg]

Here is a video of the ACM firing.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/me...I_0884.flv

Final verdict!

Is it as good as the TM? No way. Is it worth $38.50 especially to someone who doesn't use it all the time? Absolutely.
Interesting review and nice pics, Golgo
Nice review ! Thanks mate !
Thanks! If I can find one for cheap in Tokyo I'll consider picking it up. I've always wanted to do night games, but not having tracers makes it seem like less fun.
(17-09-2009, 12:21 AM)Aouwra Wrote: Thanks! If I can find one for cheap in Tokyo I'll consider picking it up. I've always wanted to do night games, but not having tracers makes it seem like less fun.

Stealth is key.
(17-09-2009, 09:20 AM)ilovemystrat Wrote:
(17-09-2009, 12:21 AM)Aouwra Wrote: Thanks! If I can find one for cheap in Tokyo I'll consider picking it up. I've always wanted to do night games, but not having tracers makes it seem like less fun.

Stealth is key.

Fun is key...Angel
(17-09-2009, 09:54 AM)Golgo 13 Wrote:
(17-09-2009, 09:20 AM)ilovemystrat Wrote:

Stealth is key.

Fun is key...Angel

Winning is fun Angel
touchéBig Grin
(17-09-2009, 10:08 AM)Golgo 13 Wrote: touchéBig Grin

Big Grin

And being invisible in pitch black is awesome.
And as far as I know, tracers are required during night games. Tongue
Really? I didn't know you had to use a tracer...good to know.

I love my TM tracer. It is probably my most used piece of kit. The only problem with it is that it gives away your position when it flashes. I bought a G&P magazine flash unit to try and use with my stubby killer but it didn't work at all. Horribly disappointed. Seems like such a good idea.

The Tokyo Marui is still the best in my opinion. I have been using one indoors for almost a year.
(17-09-2009, 11:30 AM)Hazard Wrote: And as far as I know, tracers are required during night games. Tongue

I've never heard of this... which field? I've played Seals Public Night Game and a Private one without using a tracer.

edit: add cimax too. they didn't require us to use tracers. Just make us put glowsticks on our weapons. Angry
(17-09-2009, 11:45 AM)ilovemystrat Wrote: edit: add cimax too. they didn't retire us to use tracers. Just make us put glowsticks on our weapons. Angry
I'd choose tracers over glowsticks any night! Tongue
Agreed...glow sticks means U're seen even b4 U fire....at least with tracers, U can fire then move to a new location quickly.