Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magpul B.A.D. Level (for you GBB/EBBers)
Oooo....nasty :-

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/images/BAD.jpg
http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/badnewsfeed.pdf

Of course this has to be announced just after I picked up mine. Perfect timing...not!
In my never ending quest to live the Magpul lifestyle to the fullest, I picked one of these up recently. It did not work when I initially installed it on my EBB rifle. For some reason it would disable the bolt lock system, probably a positioning issue. I removed it an fired it empty so the paddle was up, then installed it, and it worked fine after that. My only other issues is that it came in strange bluish green color, that does not match any picture I have seen of it:

[Image: IMG_1032.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1037.jpg]

Not sure if this is a normal thing or not, don't think it's a knock off. Considered returning it, but I'd rather not waste the time sending it back and paying for shipping. Instead I'll probably get some black spray paint and just fix it up myself. Or if Ycare gets good results with his DE spray paint, go with that Smile

Otherwise it seems to work well enough, feels a little wobbly on the gun, but that probably has to do more with the loose nature of the TM paddle construction than the device itself.
For those of us who havent mastered locking the bolt to the rear. Honestly, I have to hand it to Magpul, they know how to sell crap to people. Coming up next! A lever to allow you to switch iron sight apertures faster! Used by REAL Delta force! Just ask them!

But really, why would you need to lock the bolt to the rear in any situation that would require miliseconds? If you're clearing a stoppage you dont ever lock the bolt to the rear. S.P.O.R.T.S doesnt have an L in it anywhere. Locking the bolt to the rear means you're clearing your weapon for inspection, it doesnt have a functional benefit on the battlefield. If your weapon is hosed to the point where you need to start fooling around inside the reciever like that you need to get out of there and not play with it. Failures to eject, stovepiping, misfires of double feeds arent going to be helped by locking the bolt to the rear, that just wastes time.

Anyway, cool if you need more crap on your gun and have extra cash and the desire to buy everything with a Magpul logo on it. Not so much for functionality.
I thought that it was simply to allow the release of the paddle with your trigger finger rather than with your off hand?
(22-12-2010, 12:55 AM)GingaNinga Wrote: I thought that it was simply to allow the release of the paddle with your trigger finger rather than with your off hand?

Yep, that's how it's been used in every video I've seen, and that's how I used it today. So when I load a magazine I can reengage the "bolt" without using my off hand, and instead start transitioning back to firing position quicker. Again it's a millisecond thing, and I have no idea if it would actually matter in real life combat.

But there is also another reason I got it, and it's actually do with the flimsy feel of the paddle on the TM airsoft. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I worry about hitting the paddle too hard one day and snapping it, or messing up the internal device. With the BAD lever installed, the paddle now has a spacer filling in the area between the top part of the paddle and the rifle, essentially eliminating the chance of pushing the paddle too far when I hit it. Also, with the lever, I'm more inclined to give it a gentle flick with my finger as opposed to slapping it on the side. Again, this is more about the way I use my airsoft and personal concerns than maybe being a realistic thing.
Just one more item to snag on gear/foliage IMO. Pushing the bolt release takes a fraction of a second. Most of the time I support my M4 with the magwell in CQB and just about everything but marksmaship practice so I can hit that paddle with my thumb in the same motion I use when inserting the magazine if speed is my concern. I see no reason for this device whatsoever, it also looks like it might cause stress on that paddle if you put too much force on it in a downward motion. It seems like that might not be the case as Drifter said since he said it seems more stable than the using it stock.

Drifter, why not do an experiment. Do 10 reloads and have someone time them with and without the device, just to post a comparison to see if there are any tangible benefits. If you do it make sure you set it up to be as controlled as possible, I'd be interested to see a comparison done in this manner.
(22-12-2010, 01:24 AM)Wraith Wrote: Just one more item to snag on gear/foliage IMO. Pushing the bolt release takes a fraction of a second. Most of the time I support my M4 with the magwell in CQB and just about everything but marksmaship practice so I can hit that paddle with my thumb in the same motion I use when inserting the magazine if speed is my concern. I see no reason for this device whatsoever, it also looks like it might cause stress on that paddle if you put too much force on it in a downward motion. It seems like that might not be the case as Drifter said since he said it seems more stable than the using it stock.

Drifter, why not do an experiment. Do 10 reloads and have someone time them with and without the device, just to post a comparison to see if there are any tangible benefits. If you do it make sure you set it up to be as controlled as possible, I'd be interested to see a comparison done in this manner.

Newsflash: Airsoft doesn't use real firearms and is a lot about "style" Big Grin
(22-12-2010, 01:24 AM)Wraith Wrote: Drifter, why not do an experiment. Do 10 reloads and have someone time them with and without the device, just to post a comparison to see if there are any tangible benefits. If you do it make sure you set it up to be as controlled as possible, I'd be interested to see a comparison done in this manner.

I'm gonna try and use it at the next January game (need to buy some more EBB mags). If I bring my camera I'll maybe film something showing how it works with and without the device (or using the paddle vs. using the lever). Again, the secondary function as of acting as a stopper and jamming on it less are probably higher on my list of possible benefits.
I do agree with Ycare. I see a lot of the guys here in Nagoya. They are all done up. Both gear and weapons. We like to call it tacticool. It has no bearing on real guns or real shooting. It just makes them HAPPY. If you are in to full Milsim then most of this would not make sense. Thankfully for the airsoft industry it has nothing to do with 'real'.