Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! SOPMOD lockup
Hi !

I am new here and i came for the some advise about lockup of my sopmod.

Well, first of all i'd like to explain what was done.
On the first day i disassembled my sopmod for changing some aftermarket parts inside. but this time i did not know how to change piston head and i decided to change only LayLax spring guide and assemble it. Shooting test resulted lockup.
On the next day i disassembled it again to find out what was wrong, but everything was OK.
This time i changed :
LayLax cylinder head
LayLax cylinder type B
LayLax nozzle
LayLax piston head
and spring (it was taken from my friend, he told me that it is Guarder 110 normal pitch, i took it and cut to the same length)
Shooting tests result - 105ms and lockup.
I've tried to screw stock pipe not fully - this helped to shoot a little bit more but still lockups.

So, please help me to solve this problem.
Maybe this spring is too strong ? and i need to cut it a little bit more ?

Actually, 105ms it is enough. But it had work without lockups.

Thank you very much in advance.
Now I've tried original spring guide with upgraded spring - still got lockup.
New updated info.
I even tried standard spring with other laylax parts installed, result still the same - lockup.

Now realy don't have any ideas about what's going wrong and what to do now to fix my sopmod.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. It can be frustrating when you are deep into it all and hit a wall and everyone is out and about and get get you some answers. I imagine some of the more knowledgeable members will be on sooner or later, but my initial thoughts...Were your gears in the right position when you put your gearbox back together? I think the sector gear that makes contact with the piston should have the nub that contacts the tappet plate at 1:00. Did the piston head slot back into the right spot? Is the piston traveling in the grooves of the gear box smoothly? Have you tightened the stock as tight as possible? Does it lock up in both semi and full auto? I never touched the spring guide so am not sure if the issue might be in the blowback end or the cylinder end.

Good luck with it.
Thanks for some ideas!

It lockups in semi mode but it may lockup in auto mode too.
As i understand from your post - problem might be in gear position. Actually I thought that it is not matter how they installed. And as I can remember I even did not touched them but now I want to check them out. Can you explain the way of gear alignment ?
Were your gears in the right position when you put your gearbox back together? ----- LOOKS LIKE NOT
Did the piston head slot back into the right spot? ---- YES
Is the piston traveling in the grooves of the gear box smoothly? ----- YES
Have you tightened the stock as tight as possible? ----- YES
In the SOPMOD disassembly post there is a picture on page 1 that shows the open gearbox. I think the nub is in teh wrong spot and should be right up against the tappet plate (the thicker circle in my uploaded image).

Even a stock Tokyo Marui M4 blowback will lock up occasionally. This is due to the higher torque required to turn the gears for a full cycle. So when caught mid-stroke, there isn't enough momentum to turn the gears at all. Best solution is to replace the battery with higher discharge type or a higher voltage. If you still want to use the SOPMOD type battery casing, I suggest you get a set of cells that will total 9.6V and replace the cells.
(23-08-2009, 08:52 PM)Hazard Wrote: Even a stock Tokyo Marui M4 blowback will lock up occasionally. This is due to the higher torque required to turn the gears for a full cycle. So when caught mid-stroke, there isn't enough momentum to turn the gears at all. Best solution is to replace the battery with higher discharge type or a higher voltage. If you still want to use the SOPMOD type battery casing, I suggest you get a set of cells that will total 9.6V and replace the cells.

I am thinking about adding 1 cell to original battery pack to get 9.6V.
But what do you think about possibility of wrong gear's position ? Can it be causing the lockups ?
hi matey i really duabt that its to do with the gun mine has never lockuped and i dont expect it too. only people that seem to lock up are people with low standard batterys. my advice would be to check the battery / change to another. make sure its charged also check that you reassembled the rear stock tube wireing properly it has to have the spring under the end contact to put pressure on the stock tube which has its own metal contacts in. as you can imagine with all these connections the current is haveing to jump through, it can be easy for one missaligned connection to cuase more resistance and make it difficult for your sopmod to make a complete turn. also double check the motor hight. If youve taken everthing back to standard inside it wont be anything in the gearbox so id look elsewhere.
As long as the sector gear isn't in contact with the piston when you close the gearbox there shouldn't be a problem. Worst that could happen in that case is that you initially can't fire semi-auto.
Well, looks like the problem realy was in the battery. Yours answers helped very much!
After recharging the battery it lockup only in semi mode, but works well in full auto mode. Now I will make some endurance fire tests to understand how long will the original battery work in this setup.
And I wold like to ask about more powerfull 8.4V battery . Actually I like rate of fire with 8.4V bat, and I wish to find more powerfull 8.4V bat wich will be capable to work for longer time and has more output power.
Does anyone know better battery ? (I am planing to rebuild original bat pack with new, more powerfull cells, in order to intall it into original crane stock)

Thank you for the answers in advance!
Lithium-based cells would be what you're looking for. But I'm not sure if they can be customized completely for your needs. LiFePO4 cells are now available at "normal" battery sizes but you need different chargers and balancers too.
Would a 9.6 battery like the one here help in this situation?
http://www.fortress-web.com/SHOP/n090108...96but.html
I found this one
http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au...t126568425
suppose that it will be more powerfull.
What do you think about this one ?

LiFePO4 - this type of bat is very nice, but I will need to replace wireing for this type of bat and get a new charger. Because of this I would like to have Ni-Mh bat , just more powerfull.

Maybe you don't know yet...... I live in Russia, Sakhalin Island (It is very close to Japan)
and it is very big problem to get anything I need here. But I can order it from yahoo auction.
Well .... after 2 normal mags, battery down and it is again locked.
It is very sad story for me .... I need new better bat. And I don't know which one to buy.