Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
regulations in Japan and playing out of designated fields
Could someone tell me about the regulations in JP about playing airsoft in the open ? Before hearing about the TKover group, I run an ad in the Metrop. magazine to "recruit" people interested in airsoft, and got an answer from a guy living north of Mount Fuji. He says there is be plenty of space, mix of forests and field where we could play. Quoting his message : " i have unlimited field and forest that is safe from interference if we are careful"
Now the "if we are careful" part is worrying. Hence my Q here about regulations. Are airsofters only allowed by law to play on designated fields (Desert Union, Seals,...) ? If not, the proposal made by this guy sounds really interesting. I intend to go and check out this place at the end of March. In the mean time here is a link that he's sent me to a map of the area where he lives :
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.47...8&t=h&z=16
He apparently owns a small company in the area and on its site, there 's another map :
http://www.earthembassy.org/

One last info to brighten up things : apparently, this place is on the edge of the dead zone area around Mt Fuji where compass don't work and where so many people have committed suicide/gotten lost and died since Edo era !! Huh
(14-03-2009, 12:46 PM)germanicus Wrote: One last info to brighten up things : apparently, this place is on the edge of the dead zone area around Mt Fuji where compass don't work and where so many people have committed suicide/gotten lost and died since Edo era !! Huh

Thanks for the info. Just ordered my "Zombie hunter" patch.Cool
As for your question, my gut feeling is that wild gaming is not a good idea, especially due to the sensitive nature of our toys.
The groups that I've affiliated with in the past have repeatedly played in non-designated fields.
It's not necessarily a bad idea, what is important is that a number of precautions be taken.

In several cases groups I've known have cordoned off certain parts of private land with the complete support and understanding of the owner of the land. Players would tape off the "game" area with yellow tape, and place signposts marked "currently airsoft gaming with airsoft guns- caution, do not enter."

Of course, the "game area" would be set as such so that players would not be visible from any neighboring land. This means setting the "game area" so that foliage would provide concealment from neighboring land.

The above, if performed correctly, is completely legal and safe, IMHO.
Sounds like it could be interesting, would like to know how things pan out.
have finally been there to check out the place; its pretty remote from the nearest station, on route 139 that passes north of Mount Fuji; so except for the traffic that uses this road, there was no one in the forest that Jake,the guy that lives there, showed me. The smallest of the places where he has had already a few airsoft games with friends and where he thought we could organize something, is at least twice as big as Desert Union for those who know this field. It's in a tiny valley (about 15 meters deep) and a few hundred meters long. Now, first, for those of you (including me) eager for more space, the good thing is we can apparently decide when playing not to limit the game to the ridge of this tiny valley, but to the first, the second or the third path or any other visible point that runs beyond the ridge, which would automatically and exponentially increase the area of the game. Second, according to Jake, there is another place 10 minutes by car from his place that is even bigger and made of forests and uncultivated fields.
Echo 19, you suggested that a game could be held on a non-desiganted field on the condition that it be clearly posted around the game area that an airsoft game was going on. Do you mean that the field has to be completely surronded by some kind of a string (such as yellow tape which you mentionned) or are signposts well placed around the area sufficient ? I don't see the yellow tape really feasible for the area descibed above, but the signposts of course.
では
umm...well first... isn't it a good idea to check with the owner of that land before you charge in there with guns. As far as i know, airsoft in japan is only legal if held by people on their own or rented turf with the proper legal papers.

It all sounds a bit dodgy mate. Please check with the owners of the land first. If they say it ok then im sure it will be ok.

If anything should happen such as a serious injury to one of the airsofters or just a person on a hike for instance, there could be serious consequences not just to you but to all airsofters in Japan.
[Image: Camouflage3.jpg]
(05-04-2009, 10:01 PM)germanicus Wrote: Echo 19, you suggested that a game could be held on a non-desiganted field on the condition that it be clearly posted around the game area that an airsoft game was going on. Do you mean that the field has to be completely surronded by some kind of a string (such as yellow tape which you mentionned) or are signposts well placed around the area sufficient ? I don't see the yellow tape really feasible for the area descibed above, but the signposts of course.
では

germanicus,

Good job on the LOC recce, it certainly does sound like a prospective field, when and if proper precautions are taken.

The gamers that I mentioned earlier used both tape AND signposts to warn any possible trespassers/bystanders.

BUT this is only one approach to achieve the desired effect.
The point is that you want to minimize any possibility of inconveniencing/injuring/frightening any third persons.

If there are other features of the land that can prevent third persons from entering (thick foliage, fences, cliffs, ravines, MINEFIELDS, etc), then perhaps that is acceptable as well.

The most important thing is to get the consent and understanding of the owner of the land. If this isn't achieved, then gaming there would be t-t-t-trespassing.

Looking forward to hearing more progress from ya!Big Grin
[ One last info to brighten up things : apparently, this place is on the edge of the dead zone area around Mt Fuji where compass don't work and where so many people have committed suicide/gotten lost and died since Edo era !! ]
I wonder why compass does'nt work there , since Edo period a kind of Lost remote area, does this mean going there is a kind of one way Ticket Undecided unless the future Irene events held in that huge place then i'll dare to go, the nature is so interestingBig Grin though the owner offering it all, why not use only a safe portion of the land , as well as legally be use for private airsofters & safe to locals as well...count me in..
Hmmmm Im calling "Shinanigans" on the compass thing.... I've hiked and climb exstensively around Mt. Fuji including the forest at the base of the mountain which has some amazing bouldering locations as for the location for mass suicides its over rated! more people actualy kill themselves jumping of the Golden Gate bridge in the US or on the Yamanote Line.
finally some news : Jake, the guy who lives there says he can get the authorisation from the owner of the piece of land next door, apparently all it would take is a small contribution (something like 1000 yen per participant) to have access to it.
will keep you guys updated if I do manage to organize smthg there