Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[HELP] TM M4 SOPMOD, Free Float Rails?
So lately i've been wanting to do a "project gun" and I really want to make a Mk18 Mod1 EBB. (Considering the fact that it's been super hard for me to go back to regular AEG's w/o the recoil :])

I do not have a TM M4 SOPMOD, nor have I ever messed with one yet, and I'm curious to know if I would be able to install a free floating rail, such as this one:

http://www.samurai-gear.jp/shop/shopdeta...=mk18&sort=

onto a TM M4 SOPMOD.

I've only done this with real steel guns... and apparently you install it differently with airsoft guns, so any sort of help is much appreciated.
I noticed it was discussed here a bit: http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php...light=mk18

but it doesn't really answer the question...
I think if you check what Q did to his EBB M4, and Ycare's recent custom build, you'll see some options for free float style handguards. I know some of the new Madbull licensed DD rails work with EBB guns. My RECCE has a 10inch DD Lite rail, but I think the barrel nut is a little different than a standard AEG. You might be able to order the RECCE style part from TM or something and do that. Also, I think the DD Omega Rails can fit a standard Delta ring on a SOPMOD M4, which would save you some work.
Well, that's the thing... The installation for DD Mk18 rails is more like your Recce, where it has 6 screws that hold the FF rail to the upper receiver... So I'm pretty unsure about what to do.
I have the Madbull Daniel Defense licensed 12" RIS rail like the one showed here, except is Madbull and licensed. It's not the one I currently have on my TM EBB (which is Madbull DD Omega rail) since I just bought it extra when I was in Taiwan, but it will fit fine, great quality too, the Madbull that is, I'm keeping it for another build down the road probably.

With my G&P it would fit fine too, but there was a bit of play somehow with the main upper receiver nut and would need a washer somewhere, but well, it's G&P!
"Ycare - do you have a step by step guide you created when you mounted the Lite Rail onto it?" >>> Actually, never mind. I forgot the Omega Rails still used the Delta Ring.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/sho...ial-review

This pretty much the way to do it? like a real AR?
Yes, but again, the other one I have still in this box is that one: http://madbull.com/catalog/index.php?mai...cts_id=295

And it mounted fine, I just preferred the Omega. Mind you though, I don't have a Sopmod, but a basic M4A1 EBB.
Well I was going to get the basic M4A1 EBB as well - so hopefully this works... I'll probaly start this project in 2012, and probably have a big sale on all of this airsoft stuff that's lying around so i can get more funds to do this.

Thanks a bunch.
Don't the SOPMOD and M4A1 EBB guns share the same delta ring design? I thought the only differences between those guns were front/rear wiring and the handguard. if you're going for a Mk18 look, you'd probably want to keep the SOPMOD style stock on, and then it's just a simple rail issue.
Yup, it's a tight fit for the LiPo in the DD rail, I'd recommend either an external PEQ like I did for mine, or the Sopmod solution like Drifter says. I suspect Q had a some magical help for his LiPo to fit in, I don't see how it's possible otherwise. Wink
I was planning on using my VFC PEQ15, and buying a 7.4v Lipo somewhere, and keeping the front wiring system. This way I'm flexible with swapping stocks and stuff, as well as battery types.

Not to mention, the SOPMOD costs another 5000y + 1 battery is 5,000 yen or something... which would make my wallet cry...
(12-12-2011, 11:20 PM)Zero Wrote: I was planning on using my VFC PEQ15, and buying a 7.4v Lipo somewhere, and keeping the front wiring system. This way I'm flexible with swapping stocks and stuff, as well as battery types.

Not to mention, the SOPMOD costs another 5000y + 1 battery is 5,000 yen or something... which would make my wallet cry...

Whoops, misread the first post, thought you already had a SOPMOD. The M4 SOCOM (M4A1) is the one you want for sure. It's most up gradable as far as EBB M4 guns go. Still, be ready for a little wallet pain, speaking from experience, parts for recoil shock guns can get pricey.
grrrr.... i hate pricey. hahaha.

But all I really need for this project is:

10.5" barrel + 6.03mm 10.5" inner + Mk18 RIS + Gas Block + Flip Up Iron Sights, right?
You probably don't need the gas block if you are trying to save money.
(13-12-2011, 01:04 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: You probably don't need the gas block if you are trying to save money.

If he wants the right look, he's gonna need the gas block. And let's face it, 50% of this hobby is look Cool
True that ginga. I'll skip the gas block for later Smile

Thanks guys, but it also hit me today that the CQB-R already has the barrel assembly that I want... so would it be wiser to spend an extra 5,000 yen + deal with SOPMOD batteries, than to buy the M4 Carbine version?