Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Field Review] Field-Ops 11/27/11
Field info here: http://svg-ops.jp/ and http://fieldops.militaryblog.jp/

Preliminary report from Ginga here: http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php...ield+tokyo

So I decided to head out to try this field due to it's closer proximity to my area (I live out in Fujisawa). It took me about 1 hour from my door to the field, and cost me about 1000 yen in transport total both ways. Getting there without a car is not the most convenient process though, as I had to take the train, then a bus and then a short trek through a hilly neighborhood area. Not terrible, but it should be noted that if you're coming on foot with a lot of gear, be prepared to haul it a bit.

Organization seems to be a little smoother than what Ginga reported in his initial impressions about about a year ago. The staff was generally on top of things, and we were up and rolling on schedule. Games were pretty simple: team deathmatch, capture the flag, a variation of capture the flag including a empty water tank, and a medic game. There was also a couple of pistol games after lunch to get people going again after eating. All games were full auto, so lasers were in full effect. I enjoyed myself, but this is not a field to go to for public games if you're looking for a more tactical experience. Very much the dress up and blaze it crowd in attendance.

The field itself is a bit small and hilly for my tastes. One problem I had is that in the morning, the team bases were set on the top and bottoms of the hill. Sure enough, whatever team was on top generally won, as they had a high ground advantage, and their base was also better protected (with a wall of pallet barriers). Low ground base had no pallet walls and was pretty easy to shoot down at from the high ground position. Hiding in the bush is a good tactic, and thankfully the cooler weather meant no mosquitoes, but I could see that being a real nightmare in the summer.

Safety area had a good amount of benches, and a small table for buying marked up BB's and Gas. Free coffee was available, which was appreciated. A very small and narrow range was setup, making it difficult to zero your sights since the bench area could hold maybe 2 or 3 people. During power check in the morning it's way to crowded to do much else than take a few shots. With about 60 people there that day, it was a little crowded and latecomers had to settle for blue tarp or pallet to lay their gear down. Bathrooms as stated before were all the way back at the parking area, but on the plus side they were very clean, and essentially house toilets.

Ginga gave the field a 2/5 in his initial review, I would upgrade that to a 3/5 with the caveat that it's only really an option if you A) live west of Tokyo, B) don't mind full auto games, C) come in a cooler season.

I enjoyed the day, and had fun with a generally friendly and clean playing crowd (near the end shot calling got a bit squify, but overall don't feel anyone was being overly zombe-ish). I'd go again if there was a month of no TKO games and the urge to shoot was high.

Quick Breakdown:

PROS:
- Closer and cheaper option (for people living west of Tokyo)
- Good organization
- Good turn out for public game (about 60 people)
- Clean bathrooms
- Free Coffee

CONS:
- Pricey (3500 yen for the day)
- All Full Auto games
- Lack of cover
- Hilly area (both getting there and in the play area)
- Have to walk a bit to get to the bathrooms

[Image: IMG_20111127_110953.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20111127_095557.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20111127_095542.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20111127_160534.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20111127_161916.jpg]

The last pic was just to show the weird charcoal art store where the bathroom is. Airsoft and charcoal art, it's a perfect match!
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they are getting things sorted. Sounds like some of the same issues we had when we played, but at least there were no mosquitoes. Wonder what it would be like for a private game.

Are they still doing the 95m/s max rule or have the relaxed a bit? I remember my MP7 GBB was shooting 96m/s and they wouldn't let me use it so I was forced to use a sniper all day, but couldn't sight it cause there wasn't enough room on the range... was frustrating Smile

Looking forward to the picks.
(03-12-2011, 04:41 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they are getting things sorted. Sounds like some of the same issues we had when we played, but at least there were no mosquitoes. Wonder what it would be like for a private game.

Are they still doing the 95m/s max rule or have the relaxed a bit? I remember my MP7 GBB was shooting 96m/s and they wouldn't let me use it so I was forced to use a sniper all day, but couldn't sight it cause there wasn't enough room on the range... was frustrating Smile

Looking forward to the picks.

Unfortunately I didn't take too many pictures of the field, but the website address gives you a pretty good idea of field conditions (i.e. simple cover and lots of foliage). The only thing you can't really see is how hilly it is.

Not sure about the power rules as none of my guns that day were close to 95 m/s. As for a private game, it might be a good choice if another game got canceled because of weather, and then we might schedule a make up game there later in the month. I think if you keep numbers between 20 - 30, it would give space for more tactical play. With 60 people all on full auto, things went pretty fast (which seemed to be the M.O. for the public games).
Great review! I live out in Chigasaki, close to you Drifter, so I'd also be interested in game days closer to home. Chiba fields are fun... but damn they're far!
(02-05-2012, 07:39 AM)Magnet Wrote: Great review! I live out in Chigasaki, close to you Drifter, so I'd also be interested in game days closer to home. Chiba fields are fun... but damn they're far!

It's definitely a solid option for those looking to play that live west of Tokyo. There should be some videos in the video discussion thread, so check them out if you want to see more of the field. Public games are every 2nd and 4th Sunday, and the staff is very friendly. They seem to still be working on the field, and some new cover has balanced things out a bit better.