Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LayLax M4 Recoil Shock Parts Review
LayLax First Factory: M4 Recoil Shock Parts Review

Having had to buy a new lower receiver for my Tokyo Marui RECCE, I found the only options were to order a replacement part from Marui or buy a new replacement from First Factory, a LayLax brand. I decided to go with the LayLax receiver since it seemed cheaper, and offered different markings from the standard Colt style markings you see on all SOPMOD style M4 Recoil Shock rifles. It worked out and everything got fixed up, and after I was finished I decided to order a few more parts from LayLax to see how they would work out. These are minor enhancements that might be of interest to other M4 Recoil Shock users. I’ve given each item rating out of five, based on what I think the overall value is. First up, the LayLax M4 Lower Receiver. (Note I used Echigoya price as a comparison, but most other stores online had similar listed price, just easier to use on store site as reference)

F.Factory Next Generation M4 Metal Lower Receiver

Price: MSRP: 15,540円, Echigoya Price 12,432円
Install Difficulty: Medium to High (requires the right tools)
Link

[Image: M4_metai_L_main-02.jpg]

The receiver is pretty well built, and has sharper lines than the standard Marui one. This seems to be from a nicer coating or possibly better machining, but it’s not that much different. There are 4 available models with different markings: Colt, Bushmaster, KAC and a blank version. The markings are painted on, not engraved in, so I could see them wear in time, but they are sharp looking. I went with the KAC style one. Installation was relatively easy, especially if you buy the LayLax stock/barrel wrench (reviewed below). The fit maybe is not as good with the standard upper, as there is now a thin gap between upper and lower, although it’s not noticeable unless you are up close. After installation, I did find that mag loading was smoother, as with my old receiver I always felt I had to tap the bottom of my mags to get the mag catch to lock in firmly. Overall a solid purchase for anyone who needs a replacement for a broke receiver, but maybe to pricey for a pure vanity addition.

Overall Rating: 3 out of 5

F.Factory Next Generation M4 Barrel / Stock Wrench

Price: MSRP: 2,625円, Echigoya Price 2,100円
Install Difficulty: N/A (Makes things easier!)
Link

[Image: m4renti.jpg]

If you are going to monkey around with your M4 Recoil gun, you’ll probably want something like this. It’s got two ends, one for adjusting the stock pipe and on for the barrel. It’s a solid tool, small enough to toss in a side pocket or something in case you need to make adjustments in the field. It also has some nice markings, like a sweet howling wolf and a sick skull. That said, it’s a bit pricey for tool that has a very narrow range of uses. If you are just looking to tighten the stock, there are probably other cheaper options.

Overall Rating:
2 out 5

F.Factory Next Generation M4 Frame Lock Pin
Price: MSRP:1,050円, Echigoya Price: 840円
Install Difficulty: Low
Link

[Image: m4hure-muroltukupin.jpg]

Not sure if others have this problem, but sometimes my guns bolt lock function doesn’t work due to what seems to be some kind of issue with the way the lower and upper receiver interface. I think it’s when it’s too tight, the upper receiver pushes the lower receiver in such a way that it causes the cut off mechanism to get stuck and not engage. This lock pin is meant to resolve this issue by introducing a looser connection where the upper and lower connect in the front. Using a rubber stopper as opposed to just being a solid piece that tightly locks the the two parts together, it resolved most of the bolt lock issues, but does introduce a bit of play into the guns upper, but it’s barely noticeable. If you are having this issue, this might be a relatively cheap solution to the problem.

Overall Rating: 3 out of 5

F.Factory Next Generation M4 Trigger Lock Pin
Price: MSRP: 840円, Echigoya Price: 672円
Link

[Image: sopmodtoriga-roltukupinm4.jpg]

The default Marui trigger lock pin tends to slide out a bit (at least on my gun), especially if you do a lot of full-auto fire. It never looks like it’s gonna fall out, but it does tend to stick out about millimeter or two out the side. The default trigger lock pin probably won’t ever fall out, but it if you want to make sure, you can grab this pretty cheap part. Using a simple hex screw on one end, simply screw the top on and you’re set. Low price and works as advertised.

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

F.Factory Next Generation M4 Ambi Mag Release
Price: MSRP: 2,940円, Echigoya Price: 2,630円
Link

[Image: 4560329176436_main.jpg]

I really liked this item, but enjoyment will vary depending on how often you switch hands. Generally speaking, any thing that allows me to manipulate the controls on my gun with just my firing hand is good in my book. Installing is easy, just need a small hex wrench and you replace the old mag latch with the new one (the release button on the right side remains the same). Note, I recommend if you get this item, do so in store. I had a bad one and had to ship it back to LayLax. Look to make sure the mag release is bent slightly inward, and not outward, which was the problem with mine. It’s a little hard to tell, but if it looks like the latch is at a solid 90 degree angle, you probably want to get another one from the rack. My replacement looks to be at about a 89 or 88 degree angle. Again very slight. Fits great, and locks the mag in as tight as the default one did. If you like Ambi controls, this is for you.

Overall Rating:
4 out of 5

Conclusion:

I think the LayLax parts are of solid quality, but hardly necessary for the average user. That said, they are almost all very easy to install, and some address issues I had with my default gun. I’d also like to note that the LayLax service was excellent. I ordered a few of the parts directly from their site, and while they charge MSRP, shipping over 3000 yen was free and fast (got the parts in under 48 hours). Also, they were very helpful getting me a replacement for my bad ambi mag release. Issue was resolved in about a week (which would have been faster if I had shipped it earlier). For M4 Recoil Shock users looking for some simple mods that don’t require extensive technical skills, LayLax offers some good options.
Good show buddy. These are good. May I recommend that you add pictures or links to the products.
(26-10-2011, 08:34 PM)Q Wrote: Good show buddy. These are good. May I recommend that you add pictures or links to the products.

Thanks, the links are right under the "Install Difficulty" bit, but it's a little easy to miss. I'll add some personal pics of the stuff installed tonight.
Hmmm...strange, not certain why I didn't see the pix b4.
(26-10-2011, 11:43 PM)Q Wrote: Hmmm...strange, not certain why I didn't see the pix b4.

Ah, just added the pics, links should have been there at the start though. Was doing this at work, and the crappy linux mashup my company has installed has a pretty junk browser.
That's awesome, very valuable info, I'll look into it!
Drifter, any opinion on this, do you see any value to it?
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/first-factory...eries.html

Also, this one is not Laylax per say, but sounds like an alternative to the Laylax pin just mentioned:
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/freedom-art-p...eries.html
(27-10-2011, 04:06 PM)Ycare Wrote: Drifter, any opinion on this, do you see any value to it?
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/first-factory...eries.html

Also, this one is not Laylax per say, but sounds like an alternative to the Laylax pin just mentioned:
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/freedom-art-p...eries.html

The barrel base seems like something you would want to use if you are having wobble in your barrel, but I haven't noticed any in my RECCE. Again, maybe with the D-Ring design handguards you might have some wobble issues over time from the shake, but you'd have to ask someone with the SOPMOD or CQB-R variants. The lock pin looks solid, but might be the opposite of what you want if you are having bolt lock issues. I found with the tighter default lock pin, I got a lot of issues with the bolt lock not functioning, but the looser one has reduced this. If you don't want any movement between your upper and lower, that one would be a good choice though.
Well I'll probably end up using the adapter for the normal mags, so we will lose bolt lock anyway! Thanks again Drifter, good info. I already got the Omega rail which mounts without need to change those rings, so hopefully it should remain good. I'll keep in mind for later though.

Cheers!
(27-10-2011, 05:38 PM)Ycare Wrote: Well I'll probably end up using the adapter for the normal mags, so we will lose bolt lock anyway! Thanks again Drifter, good info. I already got the Omega rail which mounts without need to change those rings, so hopefully it should remain good. I'll keep in mind for later though.

Cheers!

From what I've seen of the Omega rail, it locks in pretty tight so you should be good. Was testing the M type PMAGs a bit more last night with the ambi mag catch. Firing from a stationary position seemed to be fine, but I found that if you wobbled it left and right enough and pulled at the same time, you could dislodge the mag. In a run and gun situation with the recoil going and the gun swinging about, I could see the mag dropping out. That said, I'm thinking a piece of thick electrical tape might do the trick, either on the mag or in the mag well itself. I'll do more testing this weekend and report back later.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The difference between the old and M version is really not that much, a couple of layers of electric tape inside the magwell should make it fine while not hindering the use of the old version either.