Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airsoft Research Syndicate SURUS Recoil System for M4 Recoil Shock
The TM M4 SOPMOD thread enlightened me something new Airsoft Research Syndicate (ARS) was working on with Echigoya.

http://www.echigoyaworks.com/showthread....57#pid6257

As I know the guy behind ARS, I reached out to him to the SURUS product to give it a shot. The package included :-
1xCNC end cap
1xCNC buffer tube (bye bye pot metal TM!!)
1xhard recoil spring
1xSURUS recoil weight
1xspring guide

[Image: ARSRecoil.jpg]

The CNC parts are basically the same as the stock TM but just beautifully made. The buffer tube is lighter than the TM stock buffer tube (113g vs 129g).

[Image: TMBuffer.jpg]
[Image: SURUSBuffer.jpg]

However as for the recoil weight, it's 410g vs 293g :-

[Image: TMRecoilWeight.jpg]
[Image: SURUSRecoilWeight.jpg]

Another difference is that the recoil rod for TM is slimmer than the SURUS (5mm vs 5.98mm). As such the need for a new spring guide. The recoil rod has a shock absorbing system inside the SURUS recoil weight too unlike the stock TM. So with the SURUS the rod can "spring" in and out of the SURUS recoil weight. This provides better protection in case of jams, etc.

The result. This thing kicks hard compared to stock TM. Definitely a nicer feel and with the hard recoil spring, snaps back faster.

What you do need though to install this is a high torque motor and preferably a high torque gearset. In the Echigoya link, it says you need to have a metal piston, etc. but that's not necessary.

Hopefully ARS will sell this product soon (I'm an "early adopter").
will this fit in any other TM recoil shock guns?
King of Questions
(05-09-2011, 01:18 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: will this fit in any other TM recoil shock guns?

I imagine it'll probably fit any of the M4 style EBB guns. I think the AK, G36, and SCAR guns all use a different weight system to create recoil, so I doubt it would work in them. Neat item, but maybe a little too pricey for my blood.
How much damage would this upgrade cause our pockets? Big Grin
Sorry I don't know the retail pricing.
Guess this is the final product here: http://www.echigoya.co.jp/html/products/...ct_id=9863

Price seems okay, but do you need the CNC stock pipe with it to? I'll probably still pass, this is an upgrade a little out of my DIY skills.
(18-09-2011, 03:25 AM)Drifter Wrote: Guess this is the final product here: http://www.echigoya.co.jp/html/products/...ct_id=9863

Price seems okay, but do you need the CNC stock pipe with it to? I'll probably still pass, this is an upgrade a little out of my DIY skills.

Hi Drifter - yes, the page says you'll need an Echigoya special stock pipe (they don't provide a link to the stock pipe).

It also notes that since the recoil shock is bigger, they are guessing that you'll need to keep an eye on how tight all the relative screws stay, and that wear-and-tear may increase overall.
I was advised by ARS to have torque gears & motors which makes sense since you do have a heavier weight & a harder recoil spring to pull back. My Magic Box gears & Tienly motor handles it fine.
FYI: Echigoya (I should correct that it's not an ARS product) requested for me to bring the SURUS back for some modifications. He basically slimmed it down and shortened to allow for a longer recoil weight travel - resulting in a smoother and a nice recoil kick.

[Image: SURUS1.jpg]
More SURUS recoils ready to be shipped.
[Image: SURUSes.jpg]

In addition, I got to try an even newer product that you could say "evolved" from the SURUS. It hasn't even got a name yet. I hope I can influence the maker on the name Big Grin.

It basically combines the SURUS, piston & piston head into one unit. The question will be where would the power spring go then!? It goes behind the SURUS instead!! What this has resulted :-

1. Custom power spring results in a bigger recoil (check out the video)
  2. Smoother operation as now the whole piston/recoil weight functions as one unit. This reduces the chance of any potential crashes that the original Recoil Engine could have.
  3. Custom power spring change is easier as it's now down from the buffer tube end cap as opposed to having to dismantle the buffer tube.

It's naturally not suitable for a high speed setup and will require a custom spring. But this thing kicks as hard as a well tuned WA GBB on propane!!

Nice... did they say anything about getting the setup on other models (AK or G36 or anything else)?
Nope. I asked only about the SCAR-L but the standard TM recoil weight is heavy enough. Making it heavier could weaken/break the SCAR-L GB. Whether that comment applies to the AK/G36, I don't know but could well be 'cos the design is very similar with the middle/front sitting recoil weight. Unlike the Sopmod which is in the rear and separate.
Hmm... I see...

I thought you can use it on Scar-L since it's somewhat close to M4...

Hmm... maybe they'll figure a way to fix that problem on other models as well ...
!? The SCAR-L GB is no where near the M4. It's probably closer to the G36.
(05-10-2011, 05:55 PM)Q Wrote: !? The SCAR-L GB is no where near the M4. It's probably closer to the G36.

I think Ace is confused because the SCAR uses the same mags and has a similar layout, but yeah, the weight positioning in the SCAR is over the mechbox if I remember your previous post.

Any sense of how much this might mess with the screws and such on a gun? The current note on the site says to check your screws and everything because of the added shake, but if this new system is even stronger, would you have to go through your whole gun and loctite it or something? GBB style kick on an AEG sounds kinda cool.