Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
I was skeptical about this title, as it seemed to be stuck in a bit of development hell, but I decided to take the leap after good early reviews. Also, Greenmangaming had it on sale for $34 dollars on PC.

4 hours in, it's a pretty damn good game. It definitely feels like the original Deus Ex, with RPG like tech trees and multiple ways to confront situations. Nice open areas, with side quests to keep you busy and give you extra XP and gear. The shooting is not the best, but in the confines of the games stealth and hacking system it works pretty well. Aside from some slightly long load times between levels, it's been a smooth experience, and the game looks pretty good even on my 4 year old gaming laptop. Anyone looking for a good cyberpunk experience should check it out.
yeah im nearing the end of the game on my ps3. Love the art Style, there are some open world sections with side quests and such. Lots of detail has been put into the world, for example, there are easily over 50 computers that are purely optional to hack, nowhere near the story path, yet each one has unique emails providing backstory on the user of the computer. If you play this i insist on you to explore every path and never leave an area if there are rooms unchecked.
And the story is amazing.

Complaints are the load times, and the auto save parts arent the greatest, the worst offense being the lack of one after a very intense battle.

if you like RPG/TPS/FPS games like mass effect, or liked fallout 3 but wanted a bit more polished combat and linearity, you'll love it. Also, the game requires thought and tactics.
King of Questions
(29-08-2011, 01:38 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Complaints are the load times, and the auto save parts arent the greatest, the worst offense being the lack of one after a very intense battle.

Agreed. The recent patch on PC make the load times a little better, but the AI still needs some work. I just had a boss fight where the boss got stuck on some geometry, or possibly in an animation loop, and I just unloaded my gun into their head. PC also has quick save/load, which is a god send if you are looking to stealth a lot.

Overall still really enjoying the game. The world they've built is excellent, and the characters are all interesting (although the voice work is kinda rough, but what do you expect from a game made in French Canada, it was doomed to have weird accents!).
I picked this up for PS3 on Sunday and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've been mostly stealthing and hacking my way around, so I've managed to avoid seeing bad AI for the most part. That being said, I have enjoyed popping one sentry from long distance with the scoped tranq rifle, waiting for another dude to show up and check on him, tranqing that guy, then the next, then the next...

The voice acting is my biggest gripe, mainly because I hate the guy who voices Jensen. I know what sounds badass: talking like I just smoked all the cigarettes in the world then washed them down with a quart of sulfuric acid. What a tool.

Also, when eliciting a throwaway line from a Chinese prostitute, the audio was in Chinese, but the subtitle still contained stereotypical English grammar mistakes. Something like, "Me no likey when customer no pay big money." That really pissed me off. Presumably she doesn't speak her native language like a three-year-old.

Voice acting aside (and it's not all bad, I quite like Sarif), the game is totally awesome and I love the way they've created an immersive world with heaps of background information on the various power players. I've spent so much time reading in-game text on various subjects. I love that kind of stuff so it's great for me.
"Lets just all hug and shoot something!"
-WiskieTango
(30-08-2011, 11:03 AM)ThunderMidget Wrote: Voice acting aside (and it's not all bad, I quite like Sarif),

I agree, i love Sarif's voice, now i want to buy all games the actor does work for. I also like the voice of Pritchard, sounds just like the a$$hole he plays! Smile

And ive been stealth assaulting with the best gun in the game, the 10mm pistol. once you get it pimped out with the Armor piercing, silencer, laser sight, and all 3 extended mag upgrades, its all you will ever use (on guards that is). getting headshots when cloaked and exposed makes me feel epic.

Also, i upgraded the battery packs for my invisibility, but the auto recharge never refills any other batteries than the first, i have to use the energy bars, is this the same for you guys?

King of Questions
(30-08-2011, 08:11 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Also, i upgraded the battery packs for my invisibility, but the auto recharge never refills any other batteries than the first, i have to use the energy bars, is this the same for you guys?

Yeah, that's the way it goes unfortunately. Only the first will automatically recharge. I just leave it at one battery unless I know I'm going to need more, then I eat the energy bars.
-WiskieTango
(31-08-2011, 01:18 AM)ThunderMidget Wrote:
(30-08-2011, 08:11 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Also, i upgraded the battery packs for my invisibility, but the auto recharge never refills any other batteries than the first, i have to use the energy bars, is this the same for you guys?

Yeah, that's the way it goes unfortunately. Only the first will automatically recharge. I just leave it at one battery unless I know I'm going to need more, then I eat the energy bars.

If you don't drain a battery completely it will recharge, but yeah, if you use all your juice only the one battery will refill. Seems like a good decision, because with full stealth/energy you could literally walk through most of that game.

Just beat it last night. The final boss fight was cake (Pro tip: LASER GUN). Played most of the game using stealth to take out dudes, then shooting the rest. Already considering my second run through with more stealth and I might even try and go for the "Pacifist" achievement. Great game, but the boss battles and VO could still use some work IMHO.
"pacifist" for not killing anyone I'm guessing? Can you stun and tranq gun them, or is it fully no contact?
-WiskieTango
i agree, the boss battles were very rigid, no other options, no hidden enviromental things, it was find them, and pump 'em full of lead. I hated Barret and his grenade chucking, but EMPs made that easier.

SPOILER ALERT! the worst things about the game involve ammo, too rare, why does a soldier carry only 5 bullets? i had to ditch my maxed out pistol and Combat rifle because of ammo and other guns. PRO-TIP, the plasma gun is a let down. Also, my favorite gun is easily the heavy rifle, kills anything (ANYTHING!) in a second or so of firing, plus with its (up to) 200 rd capacity, high rate of fire, and the fact that ammo for it is found in big amounts, i was able to beat every boss (not barret, as i didnt have it yet) with just that gun. By the ending i had over 800 rounds for it. Also, the crossbow is 1337 hax for its one hit kill and retrievable ammo.

ADVICE TO ALL! read gamesradar's guide to augs, it stopped me from wasting my precious praxis on pointless things.
King of Questions
(03-09-2011, 10:34 AM)ThunderMidget Wrote: "pacifist" for not killing anyone I'm guessing? Can you stun and tranq gun them, or is it fully no contact?

Yeah, tranq and stun is fine, as long as they don't get killed (body will have a skull symbol if dead and zzzz if sleeping). Boss battles don't count for the achievement, since like Vorpal said, there isn't really much variation on how to handle those fights. The boss battles do a great job exposing the issues with the DX:HR combat system. Didn't really enjoy any of them. Just blasting through the again on easy mode, trying a more hands on style of handling situations (didn't get my takedown achievement). Game goes SUPER fast when you skip the dialog and know where to go Big Grin