Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthquake
I know that we have a few members further north in the Sendai area. I hope that everyone is OK.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
[Image: 89-magnitude-continuous-aftershocks-fire...shakin.jpg]
Best wishes to all those up north or stuck waiting for a ride. Everything seems to be more or less calm here in the Shonan area, minus the aftershocks. I'm glad I only live 5 minutes from the office, the train station was a mess, and the taxis were no where to be found.
My heart goes out to those I the disaster areas.
(12-03-2011, 01:52 AM)Q Wrote: My heart goes out to those in the disaster areas.

Agreed, the videos and images coming in now are shocking. I hope the worst of it is over.

On a related note, Red Cross is taking donations online to help the disaster victims: http://bit.ly/eZJDoJ

I made a small donation and it helped me sleep better. If you have the cash, make a small donation if you can.
All, here's another way you can help out :-

http://icajapan.org/icajapanx/projectepo...sunami.pdf

Also I've asked my office if there's anyway we can get a group of relief team up to disaster areas to assist the victims there. Of course we'll probably need to work under the direction of Red Cross or the Defense Force or whoever is in charge. But even if it's simple things like cleaning up, or distributing food to the homeless, it's at least something that we can do.
(12-03-2011, 07:45 AM)Seraph Wrote: best wishes to everyone from Sweden.

Thanks for your concern regarding non Swedish citizens.
Maybe he meant best wishes from Sweden to Japan? Not exclusively for Swedes in Japan.
Hey, if you are a US citizen, the embassy is paying for airfare to get you out of the country, just saying
King of Questions
(17-03-2011, 08:30 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Hey, if you are a US citizen, the embassy is paying for airfare to get you out of the country, just saying

Please ensure you have your facts squared off prior to posting.

The US Government will assist with transportation to a safe place (for US Citizens, and in certain cases, family members), in which participants will be required to repay the US Government the cost of the transportation.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-wa...17-02.html
(17-03-2011, 10:13 PM)psycho Wrote:
(17-03-2011, 08:30 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Hey, if you are a US citizen, the embassy is paying for airfare to get you out of the country, just saying

Please ensure you have your facts squared off prior to posting.

The US Government will assist with transportation to a safe place (for US Citizens, and in certain cases, family members), in which participants will be required to repay the US Government the cost of the transportation.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-wa...17-02.html

Still a step up from what my gov is offering. They just sprung for a couple of buses in the last 24 hours. Which I guess is better than the initial response from Canada of "You want to get out? Work it out yourself!".
I don't know if the Aus government has offered anything but I heard that Jetstar and Virgin are sending planes back half empty rather than offer cheaper prices to people wanting to get out. Who knows, maybe they can't drop their prices much.
Why are people evacuating? Because the French did? Is anyone really surprised that the French were the first to run away?

Guys, you're safe. You dont need to flee the country to escape the big bad nuclear reactors. France started this massive panic and now everyone is wondering why their governments arent evacuating people from a perfectly safe location. While everyone else is running away, I'll be waving to them on my flight in in two weeks.
The US is doing a pretty good job trying to cause panic and insanity too.
(19-03-2011, 02:04 AM)TheMuss Wrote: The US is doing a pretty good job trying to cause panic and insanity too.

You know, I was going to come back at that and say "The US Government and the US Media are two different things".

Then I decided that was a stupid, stupid thing to say. Its frustrating reading all about how everyone is losing their minds over the nuclear issue right now. It's literally a non issue for residents in Tokyo, it doesnt take an expert to figure that out. I've spoken directly to a Nuclear Maintenance Engineer (My father) and a someone who works for Emergency Management with Excelon at a nuclear plant and both of them said the same thing to me. "It's nothing they need to worry about".

Reactor and reactor containment designs are so far beyond the previous worst case (Chernobyl) that the panic is almost funny to these guys. It's sad that the focus has shifted from helping the REAL victims hurt by the tsunami to the fear mongering going on in the western media.