Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battlefield 3
(18-08-2011, 07:19 PM)Ycare Wrote:
(18-08-2011, 05:20 PM)Drifter Wrote: Skyrim is on my mind to, but also The Witcher 2 is a great game I would love to play at higher settings. PC gaming is back in full force in my life!

Yeah same here, but I need to finish the first episode first Wink

With the game consoles getting to their end of life cycle, only PC now can offer really something mind blowing and offer the full gameplay experience intended in those new games.

Yes, now the money for the PC...

Yeah, The Witcher 1 was a drag near the end. The last chapter had a few clunky boss battles I was not a fan of. Great world though.

As for building a PC, I've been trolling through different forums, and I could see a decent rig that could handle BF3 on Mid settings for about 60,000yen (just the tower). I'm budgeting up to 80,000 for my build, but I might aim lower. Gonna do some more research, and maybe swing over to Akiba to check some stuff out.
Need some advice. Should I get battlefield 3 for PC or console?

My PC isn't great so it'd have to run at lowest settings, but PC does have 64 player online.
King of Questions
(20-08-2011, 06:39 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Need some advice. Should I get battlefield 3 for PC or console?

My PC isn't great so it'd have to run at lowest settings, but PC does have 64 player online.

The higher multiplayer count is why I'm going PC, since that is where I expect to spend the most time. That said, I'm aiming for medium settings, so I probably won't get much better graphics than on console (although I am hoping to get stable 60fps).

The console versions from what I've seen have been solid, and I doubt they are going to half ass it since their bread and butter is going to be console sales.
(19-08-2011, 02:30 AM)Drifter Wrote: As for building a PC, I've been trolling through different forums, and I could see a decent rig that could handle BF3 on Mid settings for about 60,000yen (just the tower). I'm budgeting up to 80,000 for my build, but I might aim lower. Gonna do some more research, and maybe swing over to Akiba to check some stuff out.

For work I just made a new setup for me, took one of the latest quadcore i7, 8GB of latest ram, 150GB SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, a decent MB and GFX along with a 23" wide LG screen, assembled by myself, for 130,000Y. I was going for max performance since doing a lot of virtualization and heavy server applications, but found that for that price you can easily make a PC which will hold 2 years of latest game gen easy, and be a decent computer for 3~4.
Not to take this completely off topic, but apparently I can run a windows pc through my imac as long as the graphics card in the pc supports displayport output (I only just read all this a few minutes ago so forgive me if the terminology is incorrect). I'm intrigued by the ability to play Battlefield in 64-player multiplayer, so if I were to build up a pc, as a screaming gaming rig solely dedicated to playing video games (so no need for a huge hard drive, for example), what would that cost me for the components and how much beer and good wine would I have to give you (Ycare or Drifter) to build it for me. Big Grin
"Lets just all hug and shoot something!"
-WiskieTango
(22-08-2011, 01:32 PM)ThunderMidget Wrote: Not to take this completely off topic, but apparently I can run a windows pc through my imac as long as the graphics card in the pc supports displayport output (I only just read all this a few minutes ago so forgive me if the terminology is incorrect). I'm intrigued by the ability to play Battlefield in 64-player multiplayer, so if I were to build up a pc, as a screaming gaming rig solely dedicated to playing video games (so no need for a huge hard drive, for example), what would that cost me for the components and how much beer and good wine would I have to give you (Ycare or Drifter) to build it for me. Big Grin

Well Ycare's work build is probably more than you'll need. By removing the monitor and the SSD from the equation, you could easily save about 40,000yen, if not more. Then I think about 4GB of ram should be enough, and I have read posts from guys who played the Alpha that i5 CPUs could run the game fine. Where you don't want to skimp is the graphics card, which is what BF3 is going to need the most.

I actually haven't built a PC in years, but it's only gotten easier from what I've see in videos and forum posts. The invention of tooless cases and the such has led to much easier (and less bloody) builds. Should have a rough plan for a PC shortly, will post up my specs maybe later this week.
(22-08-2011, 03:57 PM)Drifter Wrote: Well Ycare's work build is probably more than you'll need. By removing the monitor and the SSD from the equation, you could easily save about 40,000yen, if not more.

Fool! Removing the SSD?! Just by itself, those 20,000 Yen give the PC a good one additional year of value all by itself. I'm not talking fast, I'm talking light speed fast. The applications open before you even clicked the it. Man, you don't even need to touch the mouse and yet the game is already running and waiting for you, the PC reads your mind!

Joke aside, nowadays, and for the fairly cheap price you can now find one at, a SSD makes a huge difference performance wise, real, heavy, tangible performance. I'd only use a plain HDD for storage now since it's still cheaper than an SSD.

For 40,000 less you can make a PC that will be totally fine to run BF3, but, probably not as well the games next year. So it's really up to you if you're into spending more now for longer term, or slowing revamping the PC as time passes on, with all the trouble it bears. Personally come November, I'll go full on and build a beast for Diablo 3, Skyrim, BF3, etc...

Thunder, if you promise to get me properly drunk "after" I build up your PC, I'm totally fine with that.
I'm not knocking the performance of an SSD, I would love to have one, but it is a luxury when it comes to budget PC builds. Prices have come down, but a 1TB HDD is still a much more affordable option. Again, it's something you can always add later, and if you are going to splash out some cash on a budget gaming rigg, you want the cash to go to a graphics card. I'll suffer longer boot up and load times as long as the game looks good and plays well. Skyrim is on my mind as far as specs, but Diablo 3 will probably run fine on any PC in the last 5 years, since Blizzards MO is "make it run on anything".

Also, I'm not aiming for a BF3 max settings machine. What I really want is maybe a little above mid settings, with 60FPS being my priority. Additionally, a lot of my PC time now is spent on games like League of Legends and indy games like Terraria. You don't really need to be future proofed much for that.
I'm not necessarily shooting for a budget build, I just don't need it to function as a regular, everyday computer. I'll use my iMac for all the normal stuff I need a computer for, I'm just thinking about a pc rig for gaming. To that end, I definitely don't need a iTB HDD, probably don't even need 150GB of SSD. All i need is enough hard drive or sdd space to store the OS with a bit of extra space, and then screaming graphics capabilities, right?
-WiskieTango
(22-08-2011, 07:27 PM)ThunderMidget Wrote: I'm not necessarily shooting for a budget build, I just don't need it to function as a regular, everyday computer. I'll use my iMac for all the normal stuff I need a computer for, I'm just thinking about a pc rig for gaming. To that end, I definitely don't need a iTB HDD, probably don't even need 150GB of SSD. All i need is enough hard drive or sdd space to store the OS with a bit of extra space, and then screaming graphics capabilities, right?

Sounds about right. Storage is something you can always take care of later anyways. Also if you already have a copy of the OS you want to use, that's another 9000 yen or so you can save.
(22-08-2011, 07:27 PM)ThunderMidget Wrote: I'm not necessarily shooting for a budget build, I just don't need it to function as a regular, everyday computer. I'll use my iMac for all the normal stuff I need a computer for, I'm just thinking about a pc rig for gaming. To that end, I definitely don't need a iTB HDD, probably don't even need 150GB of SSD. All i need is enough hard drive or sdd space to store the OS with a bit of extra space, and then screaming graphics capabilities, right?

I'll help you out on a weekend Thunder, no worries. Just hit me up whenever Wink
Awesome. Thanks guys!
-WiskieTango
Did a bit of shopping around online and got a system that I think I'm going to go with. Basics are as follows:

i5 2500 CPU
ASUS ATX P8Z68-V Motherboard
4 GB RAM
1TB HDD
GTX 560 Ti GPU

With the case and power supply, it all came to just a bit over 70k. I'm playing with the idea of doubling the RAM, but I think this should get the results I'm looking for in BF3. Probably won't commit until later next month, since BF3 isn't even out until Oct 25th.
Bad news for console ppl. When kotaku Guys were playing a co-op mission on ps3 at gamescom, they said that the game really started to sputter when the battles got big
King of Questions
(23-08-2011, 12:09 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Bad news for console ppl. When kotaku Guys were playing a co-op mission on ps3 at gamescom, they said that the game really started to sputter when the battles got big

Yeah, but that mode doesn't seem particularly hot anyways. My bigger concern was when they said co-op was just a bunch of single player levels re-chopped with little context to the story. It feels like an after thought, and it's a shame because I do like a good co-op mode.