Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Ops first strike
I've got great news for xbox owners that play black ops. First strike is region locked in a very stupid way.
Allow me to explain:
If you have an English copy, you must download the English DLC, but the English DLC is only available to people living where the English copy is sold.
I, for example, have an American copy, American account, American xbox, and it says I can't download the English first strike because of my location.

I hope this problem doesn't affect PS3 and PC gamers too.
Just thought id share
King of Questions
This is the case with most (pretty much ALL) DLC for all games.

It's easily solved by creating a US Xbox live/PSN account, and purchasing points online, and buying your DLC on the US Xbox store/PSN store.

Once the DLC is purchased and installed, you can log back in with your Japanese account and play it.
(DLC are licensed per console and not per account).

"Warning! - NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night."
(02-02-2011, 09:30 AM)madmax Wrote: This is the case with most (pretty much ALL) DLC for all games.

It's easily solved by creating a US Xbox live/PSN account, and purchasing points online, and buying your DLC on the US Xbox store/PSN store.

Once the DLC is purchased and installed, you can log back in with your Japanese account and play it.
(DLC are licensed per console and not per account).

This usually works on PSN, but 360 is more of crap shoot. Some stuff can be worked around by using a US account, but some stuff is straight up blocked, and there is no way to get it.

http://www.gaijingamers.com is a good forum to check, has a good group of foreign gamers with a lot of shared info. It's actually how I got into airsoft, bumped into Ycare there, and he lured me into this money draining hobby Tongue
(02-02-2011, 09:39 AM)Drifter Wrote: This usually works on PSN, but 360 is more of crap shoot. Some stuff can be worked around by using a US account, but some stuff is straight up blocked, and there is no way to get it.

http://www.gaijingamers.com is a good forum to check, has a good group of foreign gamers with a lot of shared info. It's actually how I got into airsoft, bumped into Ycare there, and he lured me into this money draining hobby Tongue

Eheh, sure did ^^, now your bank account hates me Wink
Doesn't work. I have an American Xbox, American disc, and American account.
It won't let me download the American one because I'm not in America, and after changing to the Japanese marketplace, I can't buy it because my account and disc are American.
I'm stuck in a rut

Maybe a VPN would work?
King of Questions
(02-02-2011, 01:20 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: Doesn't work. I have an American Xbox, American disc, and American account.
It won't let me download the American one because I'm not in America, and after changing to the Japanese marketplace, I can't buy it because my account and disc are American.
I'm stuck in a rut

Maybe a VPN would work?

It might be possible, the key is making them think you are in America. If you can make your router spoof a US IP or something, then it might work. But with all the ports and other things you'd have to change on your router, there's a good chance it just won't connect to LIVE after that. I did a lot of research on this back when I was trying to figure out how to get the Gears 2 DLC, but in the end I just gave up.

The one work around I can think of would require you to have a contact you trust in the US. Have them log in to your account on the XBL website and purchase the item for you, then see if you can DL it. Again, this still might not work, as the DLC might be blocked completely (again, case by vase). I love my Xbox, but this has been one of the headaches I've had to live with while in Japan.
Oh, I see!...
I had no problem with Mass Effect and Mass effect 2's DLC on the 360.

I guess they doing just a basic IP filtering...

In this case, two solutions: Configure your router to connect through a proxy in the states or, like Vorpal is saying, VPN.
But you need to know someone in the US that would be ok to grant you access to his LAN.

huh. As a PC gamer, i usually email them (Steam, D2D... etc) for an exception, and explain to them all of this, and they enable me to get DLC.
If I got a family
Member to give me their Internet access. Would I just need the IP address?
Would I just input it into my xbox's network settings?

Btw, I tried a proxy site with a LAN splitter and a laptop, and asking a stateside friend, both didn't work.
King of Questions
(02-02-2011, 06:37 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: If I got a family
Member to give me their Internet access. Would I just need the IP address?
Would I just input it into my xbox's network settings?

I doubt the Xbox features a VPN client, so you'll need a friend/family who has basic networking skills in the US to setup VPN on his router.

He will then let you know the user and password for his VPN connection, and you'll need to enable VPN on your router too.
(Pretty much every recent router, even the "home" cheap ones, features VPN nowdays. Just google your router model to check how it is configured).

Than, just plug-in your Xbox into your router, and it should get the local IP address of your friend in the US, and you should be able to DL the contents.

You will need basic understanding of networking though.