Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun maintenance and care advice needed
hi all,

i've recently bought my first ever airsoft gun (the TM scar-l EBB!) and want to take good care of it. What should i do to make sure it stays in good condition? I've read the manual but the translation is pretty shoddy in places.

Also a japanese player advised me to, at the end of the day, blank fire in full auto a few shots, then 1 shot semi before putting into safety and detaching battery. the manual only says do one semi auto blank fire. What do you chaps do?

at the moment i am going to games about 2 times a month and i am only playing mornings (family commitments!) - how often would you advise cleaning the gun? would excessive cleaning damage it too?

cheers

GC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't dry firing just plain bad for the gun? I mean, ebbs are different, but....
King of Questions
you do it to clear any left over bb's. I know the TM EBB's have the bolt lock system and all, but its good to have a short little 5 round burst before u pack it up... you dont want it popping one in your eye when you least expect it.

as for the health of the gun, dry firing is bad for it, but only if you pull the trigger for a long period of time. if you do small short bursts, it will be alright.

another tip for maintaining its condition is to clean barrel after uses. i didn't for a long period of time, and a lot of dust/dirt got inside. Finish it by lubing the barrel as well. every year, i also like to re-grease the mechbox as well.
There are long debates on dry firing, but ultimately if you run any motor based device for too long it's gonna wear on it. A few shots here and there to clear the tube and test the motor aren't going to accelerate that much. Good policy to always dry fire a few in a safe area before you pack up just to make sure it's clear (mag out also). Otherwise, I recommend just adding a bit of silicon oil from time to time. Spray a little into the BB feeding tube, then fire some BB's through it to spread out the oil. Give it a little run through with the cleaning rod to pick up excess oil and you should be good. I only do this every few games.

Also, you might want to occasionally check your motor height, if you here your motors getting whiny, it might be a little loose.
thanks all for the tips
Zero - not sure if i am confident enough to start opening the gun up and greasing stuff just yet! dont want to see my 40 thou down the tubes just yet!

Drifter are you referring to the small hex key that goes into the bottom of the grip (in the scar manual at least)?
(10-01-2011, 10:27 PM)GiantCorn Wrote: thanks all for the tips
Zero - not sure if i am confident enough to start opening the gun up and greasing stuff just yet! dont want to see my 40 thou down the tubes just yet!

Drifter are you referring to the small hex key that goes into the bottom of the grip (in the scar manual at least)?

Yeah, that'd be the one. I wouldn't worry about if for awhile, just if you start hearing strange motor noise.
Why would dryfire be bad for an AEG? Having a BB hurling down a barrel and hophup at almost 1J can't be in anyway better than having just air being pushed through...
I don't see either how having a BB in front of the nozzle makes any difference for the internals, we're talking 0.20~0.25g in front of a nozzle here.

Am I missing something?
(11-01-2011, 06:31 AM)Ycare Wrote: Why would dryfire be bad for an AEG? Having a BB hurling down a barrel and hophup at almost 1J can't be in anyway better than having just air being pushed through...
I don't see either how having a BB in front of the nozzle makes any difference for the internals, we're talking 0.20~0.25g in front of a nozzle here.

Am I missing something?

There have been some debates that dry firing causes the motor and parts to get stressed because they are punching full force at nothing, potentially over extending the spring and piston or something. Again, this might have been an issue from way back or something for people running 500+ FPS guns, but I've never had a problem dry firing my weapon and often do it before I test fire it at home (like when I'm tuning my motor). It's nothing I'd worry about as far as maintenance goes, you're average day of play will put more stress on your gun than anything else.