Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: Tokyo Marui SCAR-L Recoil Shock
This is a very quick initial review of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System. I managed to pick mine up in Frontier1, Akabane, Tokyo for Y41,860 (approx USD$504.74). That's actually a little more expensive than Echigoya's International site which advertises for USD$485.

As with other TM guns, the external seems reasonably well built. Although there's a tone difference between the upper, lower and grip, it's not as strongly contrasted as VFC SCAR-L's. To me TM's FDE is somewhat a little "earthier" than VFC SCAR-L's. Here's some initial pics :-

Unboxing the TM SCAR-L :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L01.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L02.jpg]

A close up of the lower/upper receiver colour difference :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L03.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L06.jpg]

Here's a colour difference between the VFC SCAR-L (Upper) and the TM SCAR-L (Lower). Apologies my VFC SCAR-L looks so dirty as it's been my primary weapon for some time :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L04.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L05.jpg]

I've found the TM grip to be bigger (and therefore more comfortable) than the VFC, which to me has always felt "slender". Also as visible, the selector switch positioning is different, but the magwell on the TM also has an indentation of which VFC's doesn't. Other aesthetic differences includes the hinge for the folding stock, the front flip sight adjustment, the gas block colour (material?), etc. The overall TM receiver length does appear to be a little longer than VFC's but not by much. Later I'll be counting rails.

Some other notable differences include :-
* TM's charging handle doesn't lock back, you have to hold it back to adjust the hop (which is similar to the TM Sopmod style)
* The front barrel extender (at least in the manual) appears to be one piece. That's a pity 'cos it means I can't just unscrew it to make it into a CQB - I could be wrong 'cos I'm just referring to the user manual and haven't physically tried unscrewing it.
* The gas block is a dummy, you cannot remove anything like the VFC (i.e. no hop adjustment, or no torque screw driver)
* There's wires visible from the receiver to the stock (see below)

[Image: TM-SCAR-L07.jpg]

Also wires are nicely routed within the stock (fuse is barely visible but there), and there's a little swing hook for the battery wires too :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L08.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L10.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L11.jpg]

The stock pin is also held nicely in place, without having to worry about losing the locking pin (like the VFC SCAR-L).

Once I've charged a battery with a Taimya connector, I can try firing it (all my AEGs use mini-Deans). I've actually already tried this at the Tokyo Victory Show on the 18th Dec and it does have a decent kick. Of course (just like the Sopmod, anyone expecting a GBB-like kick, forget it).

So here's the power results. I must say I'm pretty impressed by the stock power, measured with an XCortech X3200. (Looks like [tables] isn't enabled on IP.Board) :-

0.2g G&G Bio BB's (in m/s)
97.05m/s 0.94J
96.64m/s 0.93J
96.35m/s 0.92J
95.11m/s 0.90J
96.51m/s 0.93J
97.01m/s 0.94J
94.95m/s 0.90J
96.39m/s 0.92J
96.07m/s 0.92J
96.92m/s 0.93J
Ave: 96.3m/s 0.92J

0.28g G&G Bio BB's (in m/s)
80.81m/s 0.91J
81.10m/s 0.92J
80.67m/s 0.91J
81.27m/s 0.92J
80.50m/s 0.90J
80.73m/s 0.91J
81.56m/s 0.93J
81.13m/s 0.92J
80.67m/s 0.91J
80.90m/s 0.91J
Ave: 80.93m/s 0.91J

Now for the bummer. For those who think you can drop in the Freedom Art BB Feed extender to use standard magazines, those unfortunately do not simply drop in. The feed extender will need to be modified to fit in. Reason being, the mechbox has these rails that extend forward on either side of the hop chamber that prevents a drop-in extender. However I think with some shaving of the Freedom Art BB Feed extender, it can be made to fit.

This is Freedom Art's page on shaving the BB Feed extender.

However if you picked up one of the Pro Arms metal BB feed extenders instead, then you're in for a lot harder work.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L12.jpg]

Here's the breakdown from the user manual, that barrel appears to be one-piece :-

[Image: SCAR-L_Breakdown.jpg]

Larger res available on request, please PM if needed.

With the Recoil Shock range, unfortunately still a large variety of standards. I think we're seeing 4 different mechboxes now (M4, SCAR-L, G36K, AK47/74)?? But the same can be said for the non-EBB mechboxes V1-7. In the EBB range, I'm only familiar with the M4 Sopmod/SOCOM of the Recoil Shock and don't know enough about the G36K nor AK47/74. When I get to the point of butchering my SCAR-L, I'll see if it has interchangeable parts with the Sopmod/SOCOM mechboxes (like gears, ARL, etc.).

Update: Sadly like the VFC SCAR-L, MIAD/MOE not compatible too.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L13.jpg]

I don't even need to align it properly for the difference to be noticeable.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L14.jpg]

Of course if one wants to trim/cut/butcher their MIAD, you could make it fit but personally, that'll be too much trouble.

Now for the butchering of the SCAR-L. Here's the barrel removed :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L15.jpg]

It seems that sliver lever engages the charging handle whenever it's fired. Rather interesting the engagement is via a mechanism on the barrel rather than directly from the recoil weight, etc.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L16.jpg]

The barrel is a rather short 300mm, well short of the outer barrel. The Hop is again proprietary and different from the Sopmod/SOCOM. I'm unfamiliar with the G36K so don't know if it's the same as that.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L17.jpg]

Closeup of the Hop. Now the Hop arm has 2 parts, another curious factor why a hop arm has to be complicated.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L18.jpg]

To remove the mechbox, two screws have to be removed from the back :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L19.jpg]

The removal is made easy with two connectors.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L20.jpg]

Removing the mag catch and the front pin (and the grip naturally), the mechbox can be removed. The mechbox looks massive especially with the rectangular recoil weight at the top. Another note is that this whole thing is very very greasy! I think TM over did it with all the lubricant.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L21.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L22.jpg]

The other side of the mechbox.

[Image: TM-SCAR-L23.jpg]

The recoil weight is 309g which is 16g heavier than the TM Sopmod (which is at 293g) :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L24.jpg]

Saving the best for last, this is the mechbox opened up :-

[Image: TM-SCAR-L25.jpg]

[Image: TM-SCAR-L26.jpg]
Very nice Wink
Congress shall make no law
Respecting an establishment of religion
Or prohibiting the free exercice there of
Or abridging the freedom of speech
Or of the press
Or of the right of the people peacefully to assemble
And to petition the government for a re-dress of grievances
Good stuff bro! I want one!

What drives the recoil weight? Solenoid?

nvm, it is piston huh? How reliable is that setup?
[Image: gfbsasakisan-1.gif]
Nice review Q!
Thanx for that makes me want to buy it even more Big Grin
altho whats up with that barrel ?
how hard do you think it will be to convert it to cqb?
i think in the video you posted on the quasar they had cqb version (am i mistaken?)
btw called them and 20.000+takyubin for unmoded sopmod
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
Echigoya has a CQC version for 50,000.
http://www.echigoya.co.jp/html/products/...ct_id=9150
(08-01-2011, 12:47 AM)Golgo 13 Wrote: nvm, it is piston huh? How reliable is that setup?

You mean practically or conceptually? Practically, I don't know...it's still new. Conceptually the G36K uses the same kind of approach for pulling the recoil weight, etc. and the G36K has been out for over a year. AFAIK, that's proven quite reliable.

(08-01-2011, 08:35 AM)Tesla Corps Wrote: Nice review Q!
Thanx for that makes me want to buy it even more Big Grin
altho whats up with that barrel ?
how hard do you think it will be to convert it to cqb?
i think in the video you posted on the quasar they had cqb version (am i mistaken?)
btw called them and 20.000+takyubin for unmoded sopmod

To convert to CQB, both the inner and outer barrel has to be cut. That is how Echigoya mods and sells their CQB version. They cut and re-thread the outer barrel, and they convert the inner barrel from a 300mm -> 270mm.
hi, thanks for the photos of the gun's insides, very educational for a noob like me.

I bought one 2 days ago and used it today. The guy at echigoya speed charged the battery but i wasnt sure if he said it was fully charged or not - it was charged in about 10-15minutes it seemed. Anyway i tried it out today and it was cold outside - i'd say about 8/9 degrees celcius and the battery died waaaaay too quick. after about 4 mags worth of shooting i rekon.

Was this because the battery was not fully charged or because of the cold?

What other battery could i use with this gun to make it last longer? or do i just have to buy about 20 TM batteries for winter games?!

the guy in the shop rekoned the battery would be good for 1500 shots - i got about 350 out before it died.
The battery was not fully charged. You may need more than one battery of this type per game day when you start to play. Probably good to buy one more as a backup anyway. Batteries are not so expensive that you can't afford to have a spare.
"Lets just all hug and shoot something!"
-WiskieTango
Some good info here, but in a nutshell, when buying batteries you want to consider mAh and voltage ratings.
mAh with determine how long the battery will last. usually it's about 1 shot per mAh. So if you have an 1100mAh battery you can expect about 1100 rounds. Voltage determines battery power, which translate to more power at the motor.

Also remember to charge your batteries with a quality charger that has settings for you battery power ratings and that will prevent battery memory, etc

There is good info here...
http://www.pyramydair.com/airsoft-batter...icle.shtml

Oh, you can expect to spend 3 or 4 hours to charge a battery. The 7.2V 1100mAh battery I used for my USP handgun used to take 6 hours to charge.
thanks for the 1mAh = 1 round bit Ginga, never knew that.

Q, or anyone who has the SCAR, do you think that the visible black wiring in the back will cause any problems in the future?
Was in Hachinohe to day and was able to stop bye the gun store and tried out the new scar-l, loved everything about it, especially the weight. Then i saw the price tag 62,000 yen +.
Congress shall make no law
Respecting an establishment of religion
Or prohibiting the free exercice there of
Or abridging the freedom of speech
Or of the press
Or of the right of the people peacefully to assemble
And to petition the government for a re-dress of grievances
I got back from a game last week, and I didn't notice until now that the barrel + front sight/gas block part of my SCAR seemed to have become a little bit more wobbly than I remember.

Does anybody else have the same issue? Or did the SCAR come with a slightly wobbly barrel?

Any sort of info on this will help, thanks.
Very nice review. Thanks. Next in the wishlist.
you should be getting paid for this Q!
can you buy hard gears for that?
I skirmished mine for the first time on Saturday. Just checked it now and there is no wobble in the barrel at all. You might have some screws to tighten up somewhere.
"Lets just all hug and shoot something!"
-WiskieTango