Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Review]”Fake" ESS fan tsuiteiru Goggles
We all know that foggy goggles are the most annoying thing that can totally ruin your Airsoft experience during the whole day.

I am playing airsoft for only 3 or 4 months now, but I have joined over 6 events already, and I have tested (and wasted huge money!) almost all of eye-protection solutions available in Tokyo (excluding everything over 10'000 yen).

Here is a link to my previous thread:
http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php?tid=1147

I personally dislike mesh. So since I started shooting people with plastic BBs, I have been on a quest for the perfect lens-based eye-gear.

So far, the only goggles I found worthy and near-perfect are the Bolle X800.

[Image: bollex800l.jpg]

These are the only ones that actually do not get foggy at all. They can get pretty expensive if purchased in Japan (I paid 7800yen in Frontier for mine, but I know you can these online for less than 40 bucks).

Important note to everyone getting into airosft: EVERYTHING else under 8000 yen without a Fan they sell at Echigoya / Frontier WILL COMPLETELY FOG up in a minute. Just don't bother, and save your money to get something good!

The only issue I have with these is that they don't look as cool and stylish as other solutions that, unfortunately, get foggy as hell.

Yesterday, I went to Airborn (my favourite shop in Tokyo and the only one that actually fit my needs) to get a tight bore barrel for my MP7, and I found this hong kong replica of ESS goggles (the "real ones" cost 27'000yen at Echigoya).

I ran a few fogging tests at home yesterday, and I was pretty satisfied with the results, so I thought I share the info here.

Here they are:
[Image: ess04.jpg]

Pretty cool huh?

They come with a clear lens and a black on for sunny days. Note that the black lens is.. herm... very dark! So to be used when the sky is completely clear and when you definitely need sunglasses.

The lens are very easy to swap. I could do it under 2 minutes, so it's totally possible to quickly change them between games at the end of the day when the sun is setting.

A protective film is included in the package (protects the lens from scratchs and dirt), but it's actually too big to fit, so you'll need to use a cutter to reshape it before applying it on the lens.

There is also (like on the "real" ESS) a fan on top of the goggle frame connected to a single AA battery fixed on the back of the strap.
Again here, I found the battery compartment to be a bit heavy and pretty difficult to adjust to the strap itself. I fixed it using a PC cable management velcro (100yen in any PC store) and I am pretty satisfied with the result. The cable connecting the battery to the fan makes the strap a bit difficult to adjust as well, but no biggie here.

You can set the fan on 2 different speeds (low and high, duh!). After heavily breathing on the inner lens, I found the "lower" speed to be not sufficient to clear the fog fast enough (It took over 40 seconds).
The "high" speed cleaned the fog from the lens in less than 10 seconds though, which was very satisfying... how ever, the noise of the fan becomes pretty annoying with this setting.
It's getting in my head and hearing it during a 2 hours campaign game will drive me nuts!
(But I have the same issue with the TM fan goggles anyway).

So I guess that you can set it to "low" during the game, and just switch it to "high" for a minute when the lens gets a bit foggy. Easy operation anyway, just a single press on the button in the back of your head.

Conclusion:

Good:

- Design!
- VERY comfortable (on my face anyway...)
- Swappable lens included
- Fan
- Very well ventilated (there are holes all around the frame, I am pretty sure that removing the foam will be sufficient to prevent the fog, without using the fan).
- Price: 5,450yen
- Pretty good plastic frame and lens quality for a "copy".

Bad:
- Fan speed is "too low" or "too fast"... a "mid" setting would be cool.
- Strap is a bit "mendoukusai" to adjust
- Protection film not fitting the lens out of the box (needs to be reshaped with a cutter)

ESS Copy Fan goggles vs. Bolle X800

Comfort: ESS copy wins!
Style: ESS copy wins! (by far imho...)
Material Quality: X800 wins!
Fog management: I have yet to test these on a field, but I would say it's a draw so far. However, the Bolle don't need the fan! ...1 pt. each
Price: ESS copy wins!
Swappable lens: ESS copy wins (it's also possible with the Bolle, but only the clear lens is included in the package)
Strap Adjustment: X800 Wins!

Temporary Score:
ESS copy: 5
X800: 3

I have yet to test these on the field, but I like what I bought so far!
Cool

...It will definitely be good enough until I date some random desperate rich girl who will get me Real ESS for my birthday! ^^

"Warning! - NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night."
It's very cool of you for making such a long review, thanks for the info madmaxBig Grin

Have you tried anti-fog so far? The one retails at Echigoya as below unfortunately didn't be effective for a whole day when I tested it August.

http://www.echigoya.co.jp/html/products/...ct_id=8400
Hey RON!

Sure, no problem. I saw many newbies in "General Discussion" looking for gear, and of course, they'll need eye protection. I thought it would be useful for them. ;o)

I am using anti-fog, but not this one.
I am using the blue one which comes in a plastic bag along with cottons, with a cute little manga-girl with a gun on the package. ^^

Even with this, all models I tried of goggles ended up foggy after 5 minutes of play except the X800.
I know you're not gonna like the idea, but you might want to try shooting at close range on those replica goggles, at least to make sure it won't shatter on impact at the first hit.

Buying copies is totally fine, but sometimes the quality takes a hit where it shouldn't be, like the resistance of the lens.

Else, thanks for the tip, I'd be curious to try those with my mask to see if I could finally have a nice combination ^^
Lol! Replica of ESS sounds funny to me, but anyway it is good to know that it is a good stuff. I will personally recommend to all "non-aquarium goggles" funs to buy ESS ICE! It is the best I used so far.
Aliis inserviendo consumor.
Interesting review, thanks for posting and including the link to the previous discussion.

I think your score/ranking on price is debatable, as I bought three or four Bolles on sale for 12 USD in the states (real ones, not copies).

Also, I agree with Ycare in that personally, I wouldn't want to use replica anything when it comes to eye protection.
Quote:I know you're not gonna like the idea, but you might want to try shooting at close range on those replica goggles, at least to make sure it won't shatter on impact at the first hit.

Yep! I did that! I should have mentioned. Sorry.

5 hits at 1M distance with my M4 that shoots at 97mps. Lens was fine.
If it would have broken, I would not even bother writing this.

Quote:I think your score/ranking on price is debatable, as I bought three or four Bolles on sale for 12 USD in the states (real ones, not copies).

Yep, I understand that... but in this case, this ESS replica costs probably around 700 yen in Hong Kong.
So I am talking about price in Japan.
(17-12-2010, 03:58 PM)madmax Wrote:
Quote:I know you're not gonna like the idea, but you might want to try shooting at close range on those replica goggles, at least to make sure it won't shatter on impact at the first hit.

Yep! I did that! I should have mentioned. Sorry.

5 hits at 1M distance with my M4 that shoots at 97mps. Lens was fine.
If it would have broken, I would not even bother writing this.

This is a little bit OOT, but actually some of the supposed to be "replicas" are in fact the same product made by OEMs. Those "replicas" has roughly the same spec with the real ones, but doesn't have the same "brand power". I actually used a replica TM pro googles until the last game (last time I used it was on Nov 14th game), and it suits me just fine. In some ways, it is even better than the original one since the replica includes high and low setting for fan.
The original TM fan mask also has a high and low setting. When the switch is on but the button isn't pressed in it is in low setting, when the button is pressed it is on high setting.
Madmax,

Have you tried this? if so I'd like to listen to your impression although I've already got one for me.
RON, not sure what are talking about as Ginga and Ace are talking about the TM mask.

On the ESS replica, there is no switch. Just a button.

press once: Low mode
Press one more time: High mode
Press one more time: OFF

What Ace is saying makes sense as the overall quality of these goggles is surprisingly good.
Anyway, I will test these on field soon, and let you know how they perform in action (because breathing on the lens in a dry air-conditioned room doesn't compare to the fog resulting of sweat and body temperature on an outdoor field).
my fake ess fogged up last time but not so much. then the next game i reversed the wires so the air would go inside not outside. and i also peeled off the foam around it.
the glass is 2.2 mm polycarbonate lens and i shot it with a 500fps point blank and it didnt do a thing.
the fans were really supposed to go inside but because of patent issues they couldnt.
After using these all day on the 9th at Splash indoor, it never fogged up, and I never really had to use the Fan at all.

Also, these are much more comfortable than the Bolle IMO, at least on my face.
(Less marks at the end of the day).

Really good product in my opinion.
(17-12-2010, 10:48 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: The original TM fan mask also has a high and low setting. When the switch is on but the button isn't pressed in it is in low setting, when the button is pressed it is on high setting.

Yeah... I found out that the real ones had high and low settings too... but the low setting is kinda silent, so I didn't realize it was on at the first time I turn it on.

Excellent review, Madmax Tongue

Sometimes, replica is good enough, since what it need to do is just resist a plastic bb, not shotgun pellet. Eventhough the quality of the lens is somewhat inferior to the real ones, a 2 mm thick clear plastic is enough to resist 1 joule of plastic BB. Even the cheap GI issue sun/wind/dust google is enough.
RON Wrote:Have you tried this? if so I'd like to listen to your impression although I've already got one for me.

Sorry RON, I haven't seen this...

I haven't tried these. I tend to feel not too safe wearing only glasses. I prefer full goggles protection.
But they look pretty cool design-wise. ^^