Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AWS Pulse/Scorpion GDC/HRC-X445 vs GDC/HRC-X500
AWSAirsoft is an online business that makes computer FETs run by PsyphyerVII. His FETs are usually very hard to get but I've been lucky to get a few of his Scorpions.

For the past few months I've installed and used the Scorpion model version HRC-X445 in my SCAR-L, and in my ACR. The features of the Scorpion can be found here. And there's a little bit more information about the latest x500 on the front home page.

Please note that although I've got the Scorpion model, I'm only using it up to the Pulse emulation. I have not installed the hop chamber sensor, nor the bolt catch or charging handle sensors.

As such I won't be going through the entire product review but only for what I've tried on the x500.

Here's pic comparison of the Scorpion x445 & x500. The x500 is considerably smaller at 37.86x14.5x9.39 (Top: x445, Bottom: x500).

Note the orange comm wire for future expansion use :-

[Image: P1020566.jpg]
[Image: P1020567.jpg]
[Image: P1020568.jpg]

Even the sensor connector for the x500 is smaller (Top: x500, Bottom: x445)

[Image: P1020569.jpg]

Installation
As I only installed it for a Pulse emulation, the only sensor I put in was the angle toggle switch that senses the gear position. Note that to install the hop sensor, you'll also need to install the bolt or the charging handle sensor (those two sensors work together).

[Image: P1020555.jpg]

At least for me, this is the hardest part to install especially trying to find the right epoxy. PsyphyerVII includes a paper cutout template guide on where to install sensor, but I found I've botched up two sensor installations already and had to source these Angle Toggle Switches myself. I'd recommend sticking the sensor temporarily and spin the sector gear checking with a multimeter. Once you're happy with that position, then install it permanently.

[Image: P1020557.jpg]

Trigger wires soldered :-

[Image: P1020558.jpg]

My x500 is front wired on the ACR and there's lots of wires coming out of the GBB (2xmotor, 2xgear, 2xtrigger) and there's little room in the receiver to accommodate all these wires. I'm squeezing the wires where I can.

Performance
My setup is basically :-
1) Seigetek GS-R 14:1 gear ratio
2) Planet AE1000+ motor
3) 7.4V 1400mAh 30C Lipo

This thing is simply awesome! Possibly due to it being installed on the PTS ACR with a micro trigger, the response is simply instantaneous. There is no lag or delay at all, trigger pulls are very crisp. I also have the x445 installed on my SCAR and the trigger pull for that is also very quick.

In term of functionality, I found it to perform almost as described. I've got all the features (as a Pulse) working except for the the pre-cock feature.

A note, from x445 to the x500, PsyphyerVII has reversed the toggle settings, PM me for more info if required.

Battery voltage checks (switches 1 - 2)
Using the toggle switches you can set :-

Off-Off - NiMH
Off - On - 2-cell Lipo (i.e. 7.4V)
On - Off - 3-cell Lipo (i.e. 11.1V)
On - On - 4-cell Lipo (ie. 14.8V)

I don't have a 14.8V Lipo but the voltage sensors for the others work fine. The gun will stop firing, and an LED on the FET flashes red.

RoF setting (switches 3 - 4)
Settings are :-

Off - Off - RoF at maximum
Off - On - RoF at 20/sec
On - Off - RoF at 15/sec
On - On - RoF at 10/sec

Although I didn't measure it exactly, did slow down with each setting. In Pulse/Scorpion mode, the gear sensor measures/counts it. However in Sentry mode, it's adaptive RoF to PWM reducing speeds to 85%, 70% & 55% respectively.

Burst settings (switches 5 - 6)
This controls the burst options :-

Off - Off - Safe/Semi/Full
Off - On - Safe/Semi/3-round
On - Off - Safe/3-round/Full
On - On - Safe/Semi/Semi-Precock

The first 3 works as advertised and very reliably. Again, the gear sensor at work here. However I couldn't seem to get the Semi-Precock to work, it seems to do a 2-round burst. The nozzle isn't always at the retracted position meaning I'm not always getting a pre-cock setting.

In Sentry mode, since the gear sensor is not utilised, it's time based instead. This requires a calibration setup. As per instructions, when burst is enabled or when the battery is replaced whilst in burst mode, the first 3 shots must be in semi, and the 4th semi shot will be burst. Thereafter it's set and it works as above quite reliably too.

Model Emulation (switches 7 - 8)
These settings allow the Scorpion to emulate back down to Pulse or Sentry. Why would you like to do this? Well if any of the sensors fail during a Scorpion setting, you'll be out of a game for the rest of the day. However, putting down to Pulse disables the use of certain sensors, and Sentry would disable all sensors (and you'll have a regular FET).

Off - Off - Bolt catch dryfire reset
Off - On - Bolt handle dryfire reset
On - Off - Pulse downgrade
On - On - Sentry downgrade

Both first 2 settings require the hop sensor to be installed. For the 1st setting, the bolt catch sensor needs to be installed too. When the hop sensor realises there's no BB in the chamber, the Scorpion x500 will prevent dryfiring. You have to hit the bolt sensor to reset (signifying you've changed your magazine), before you can start firing again.

Similarly for the 2nd setting it's the bolt/charging handle that till signify a magazine change. I'm going to guess why PsyphyerVII included two options here is that some AEGs have an awkward positioning bolt catch (like the ACR, or G36C, etc.). So you can use the bolt handle sensor in such cases instead.

For the 3rd setting of Pulse emulation, this is the one I've been using as default. This disables the bolt/hop sensors altogether and uses only the gear sensor. In this setting one can dryfire.

And finally for the 4th setting of Sentry emulation, all sensors are disabled and the FET performs as a regular AB-FET. However it can do Burst, adaptive RoF, and Lipo protection.

One new feature change from the x445 to x500 that I like is the auto disabling of the AB-FET. With the x445, I had encountered that excessive frequent use of semi-auto, the x445 would heat up and thermal mgt kicks in stopping firing for approx 10 seconds to cool down.

The x500 is now able to disable that auto-temp cutoff in such situations and allow firing to continue. This has worked as advertised. However, I'm not certain how it'll detect other overheating cases and continue to apply the temp cutoff circuitry.

The x500 also has a cooler AB setting and I've noticed that overall it has been cooler (some heat still noticeable but much less).

Untested features
As mentioned above, I've not installed the hop and bolt sensors yet as I'm not certain how to do it for the ACR. Note that there's quite a few things to test under this setting.

Aside from whether it stops firing on an empty chamber, and requiring the bolt sensors to be triggered, there's also the burst reset feature to be tested. Conceptually, in burst mode, if you run out of BBs in the middle of burst, upon mag reload, the burst should reset too.

Conclusion
This is probably my favourite of all FETs. It does everything a regular FET does plus more. And majority of the additional features do work as advertised. I do need to work out what's going on with the pre-cock though.

The gear sensor really is a key to a lot of features of the FET - the full cycle completion, the burst counts, the accurate the RoF control, etc.

I'll need to do more durability tests on the x500 as with the x445 I had the temp sensor cutting out on me in the middle of games.
Impressive review and nice set-up Q.
Sadly I don't think I understood more than 30% of it...but even that 30% makes me think AWESOME.

I fired your ACR at BB Jungle and it is amazing. Are you going to start doing installs for people Smile
Hehehe. Unfortunately I'll need to decline that suggestion 'cos #1 it's been very hard to get these Scorpions & #2, I don't know how to install the other sensors properly yet (the hop sensor mainly 'cos I have to drill into the hop chamber).
by far this is the most interesting ive ever seen or read, and i feel the same way as ginga 70% lost.
so basically in simple english, what can it really do? and what if something goes wrong?
Wesley, I'm disappointed Big Grin. I had high respects of you as a modder Big Grin. Anyhow if you guys go to the AWS home page above you'll see the full specs. Maybe a quick glossary is needed :-

AB-FET: Active Braking Fet that will prevent gears over-spinning from momentum even after the circuit is cut. This usually means that during semi-auto, with an AB-FET, your spring is mostly decompressed.
RoF: Rate of fire
PWM RoF Control: Control of RoF is a percentage of the AEG's RoF. So it's not an exact count (See Sentry's Burst).

AWS Mosfet Models :-

Sentry - AB-FET that does burst, RoF control, auto high-temp cutoff (to prevent overheating), cooler AB operation
Pulse - Does all of the Sentry stuff, but includes a gear sensor. Meaning no "guess" work on full cycle completion, or during ROF and burst. It actually counts. It also has a serial Comm Port for input/output. e.g. if you want to have a separate daughterboard that displays an ammo counter, you can get that info from the serial comm port.
Scorpion - Everything that the Pulse does but also simulates a Systema PTW or TM Recoil Engine M4. i.e. when the mag is out of BB's, you cannot fire. You much change mags and either hit the bolt catch/release, or charging handle. Then you can fire again. This is really more for realism. But also for safety to prevent dryfire.