Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magpul PTS MIAD/MOE Grips & Motor Height Issues
Seems I share more on Arnies than I do on my own forum so I better bring back some of my findings here with my fellow TKO members.

Some of you may have discovered that with the standard Magpul PTS MIAD or MOE, the motor height adjustment is somewhat iffy. i.e. by default the Magpul PTS end cap pushes the motor already too high.

This depends on the kind of motor that you have. The reason being is that the end cap that comes with Magpul PTS is suited only for specific motors. So Magpul does sell Metal Grip Bases as optional items (different colours of course) :-

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/ai..._Earth.htm

These Metal Grip Bases are more compatible to most motors endbells out there. Here's a side-by-side standard MIAD base vs the optional item PTS metal base :-

[Image: Bases1.jpg]

A Systema motor in the PTS metal base (note how the motor sits flush into the base :-

[Image: Bases2.jpg]

Same Systema motor in the stock PTS MIAD base (see how the motor props up by a few millimeters) :-

[Image: Bases3.jpg]

So the standard PTS grip base already pushes the motor a few millimeters higher.

You have -other- solutions though. As found in Arnies, you can shim your standard PTS grip base so that it sticks out a little more out of the grip. It works, and it's free but not as elegant.
Do you think I could file my standard MOE base to lower it a bit? I'll probably buy a metal plate later, but for this Sunday I'm looking for a quick fix.
(01-12-2010, 04:05 PM)Q Wrote: [snip!!]
You have -other- solutions though. As found in Arnies, you can shim your standard PTS grip base so that it sticks out a little more out of the grip. It works, and it's free but not as elegant.

(01-12-2010, 04:17 PM)Drifter Wrote: Do you think I could file my standard MOE base to lower it a bit? I'll probably buy a metal plate later, but for this Sunday I'm looking for a quick fix.

Big Grin
(01-12-2010, 04:24 PM)Q Wrote:
(01-12-2010, 04:05 PM)Q Wrote: [snip!!]

(01-12-2010, 04:17 PM)Drifter Wrote: Do you think I could file my standard MOE base to lower it a bit? I'll probably buy a metal plate later, but for this Sunday I'm looking for a quick fix.

Big Grin

Hmm, I'd want to avoid having the base stick out of the grip, but as a temp fix for the weekend I guess it would be fine for now. How many millimeters would suggest to shim it? I'm using a TM standard 1000 motor.
I'd say see if the TM EG1000 sits flush on the std PTS base. If it does, nothing for you to do...just treat it as per normal. If it does stick up like the photos above, then it's a guess work of how much to shim (my guess approx 1-3 mm).
(01-12-2010, 04:36 PM)Q Wrote: I'd say see if the TM EG1000 sits flush on the std PTS base. If it does, nothing for you to do...just treat it as per normal. If it does stick up like the photos above, then it's a guess work of how much to shim (my guess approx 1-3 mm).

Looks like the motor sits pretty flush with the std base. I put it back in a little more careful this time, with the height screw set to it's lowest, and made slight adjustments as I went. I still get a slight whine, but it looks like it's calmed down quite a bit. The problem actually seems to be that if I adjust it past a certain point, it got pushed up out of the base area, and then got stuck too high up. I'm gonna order the metal base plate to see if that can remedy my situation completely, but for now I should be OK to field it this weekend.
for temporary fix, we used to just open the cover a little and stick some rubbery glue like a milimeter thin around the lid to fill the space. this would give a little suspension for the pinion gear. though this doesnt work for magnum motor with high powered spring as it would woble the motor and tear your gear. it also helps to loosten your spur gear at least -.1 shimming to release tension.
master the art of shimming!
(01-12-2010, 09:58 PM)wezley75 Wrote: for temporary fix, we used to just open the cover a little and stick some rubbery glue like a milimeter thin around the lid to fill the space. this would give a little suspension for the pinion gear. though this doesnt work for magnum motor with high powered spring as it would woble the motor and tear your gear. it also helps to loosten your spur gear at least -.1 shimming to release tension.
master the art of shimming!

I can barely operate a screwdriver properly Tongue