Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
call of duty black ops
Just finished the game today.
Not bad, not bad at all. Some of the missions are very good.
Textures and sounds are excellent.
Enemy IA is extremely poor
Story is rather good and they do make an effort to tie things up
Quite violent and bordering sadism at times
The game had the tendency to make me sick, especially the cut scenes between the mission that are supposed to be drug induced interrogation. A slower pace would have been just fine.

But truly, game is better done than Medal of Honor.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but it seems there are far too many options and in the end it may turn out messy and boring (to my taste)

In short:
Strong story, some good and varied missions (liked in particular the Vietnam ones)
Sickening effects that become very tiring after a while. Probably one of the best games I have played in a while, too bad I needed a throw up bag by my side...
I'm playing this too, but my computer is not fast enough to run the game without lag T_T

Multiplayer is one of the best stuff I ever had. The pleasure killing another guy is way better than just some dumb AI.
I liked the story, the setup of the interrogation and how they used it to jump around to different venues and times was cool. A few things made me roll my eyes a bit, and you they wear their influences on their sleeve. The action remained very solid, but yes, the AI is still dirt stupid sometimes.

The worst crime is casting Sam Worthington in the lead. I don't even hate the guy, but he's supposed to be an American from Alaska, every other second of his speech he sounds Australian. Why bother getting someone who cost that much and can't even get the accent right? Better to get a professional voice actor for cheaper. Really messed up my enjoyment of the game.

Overall I'd say 4/5. Treyarch stepped up their game, but it's a baby step. Anyone looking for a big change to CoD should look elsewhere.
I have a question for
PS3 owners:
If I want it to be in English, do I need an American copy? Or do all copies have different language settings?
King of Questions
(02-02-2011, 09:22 PM)Vorpalbunnie Wrote: I have a question for
PS3 owners:
If I want it to be in English, do I need an American copy? Or do all copies have different language settings?

Different copies have different languages. I always recommend buying the Asia copy (HK/Singapore ones), which almost always have English on it. I usually shop at http://www.play-asia.com, and the Asia copies are almost always $10 cheaper.

Note, it's Chinese New Year from Feb 3-7, so things are shut down more or less over there.
(02-02-2011, 10:59 PM)Drifter Wrote: Different copies have different languages. I always recommend buying the Asia copy (HK/Singapore ones), which almost always have English on it. I usually shop at http://www.play-asia.com, and the Asia copies are almost always $10 cheaper.

Oh really? wow... that surely beats buying American copy here... I bought my Black Ops for 6500 yen at Traders.

do you need credit card for buying it there, or do they have Cash on delivery or other way to pay? Having Starcraft 2 on my dad's credit card bill doesn't sound that good Tongue
(02-02-2011, 11:30 PM)ace5kills Wrote:
(02-02-2011, 10:59 PM)Drifter Wrote: Different copies have different languages. I always recommend buying the Asia copy (HK/Singapore ones), which almost always have English on it. I usually shop at http://www.play-asia.com, and the Asia copies are almost always $10 cheaper.

Oh really? wow... that surely beats buying American copy here... I bought my Black Ops for 6500 yen at Traders.

do you need credit card for buying it there, or do they have Cash on delivery or other way to pay? Having Starcraft 2 on my dad's credit card bill doesn't sound that good Tongue

Credit card of Paypal is preferred. You could do a bank transfer, but by the time you add in international transfer fees, any savings would probably be moot.