Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primary and Secondary Weapon Hits - Your Thoughts Please
I have been watching skirmish videos online, and have been considering a rule that I often see in play.

- When a primary weapon gets hit, the player calls "Primary Out," and can swap to their secondary* weapon.
- If their secondary weapon gets hit, they call hit and are out like usual.

* If they don't carry a secondary they would also be out on the first hit.

The primary is "repaired" or "re-issued" when they re-spawn and/or if healed by a medic.

I like this rule because it will encourage the usage of the secondary weapon a little bit more. I often go full days without using the secondary, and would like to try and find ways to encourage it's use more. For those that don't bring or use a secondary, this might encourage it. I wonder if most people don't bring a secondary because they never really have a chance to use it Smile

What are your thoughts?
Sounds interesting. I guess it makes sense too.

Personally though, I don't see why we need to "encourage" the use of a secondary, as a primary is probably all that one would be using unless the fight was at close range.

Lastly, and to take it back a step, I feel that weapon hits should mean I can't use my weapon any longer, but shouldn't mean I'm out of the fight. I could borrow another live teammates weapon, use a secondary, or just sneak or run around as a distraction. (remember the public game at Area 51 where I just ran around with my handgun - i.e. my hand held as if it were a gun). I think it's only a body hit that should count as player out. Needless to say, this would complicate the rules and may not be the easiest to understand for some. It ties (partly) in with what Ginga is saying above also. Thoughts?
Oh and your probably right Ginga - I haven't bothered with a handgun as haven't found the need for one yet. Implementing your rule might just force me to do some shopping! Big Grin
Nothing personal to all the good folks I have played with and met through TKO, but I'm not lending my beloved ACR out to anyone Smile

Might also encourage other items like grenades, etc. did you get any kills with that "hand gun" of yours Psycho? I don't recall. I just remember you being a fine distraction.

Like you said Psycho, I really think that people don't really bring / or even own a secondary because they don't feel the need. If we start promoting handgun only games (which I feel people have enjoyed at the start of the day or at lunch time - not full days), and primary hit rules, I think it would encourage people to bring them out...and buy them Smile
I was actually thinking about the exact same thing recently (Mostly because I finally bought a decent secondary, lol). Having experienced a primary weapon down situation last game, I can definitely say it created a situation that was both intense and fun. That said, it would be possibly unfair for those without a decent GBB/AEG pistol, since in a way they get one less hit to keep going (although admittedly weapon hits only are probably rarer than body hits). Psycho's idea is good though, weapon hit might mean no gun but you are still in and could possibly take a teammates secondary (or run a bomb, perform medic duties, etc...). As far as a repair rule goes, I think it should always involve having to head back to base to "rearm", since it represents going and repairing or getting a new gun. Medic's fixing your gun doesn't make much sense, and I think it adds more of a challenge.

I'd be interested in field testing this idea at the next game, any reason to give my new pistol some shooting time!
I think it's a cool idea. I also like Psycho's suggestion of staying in, even if you don't have a weapon. I can see some benefit in having a player draw enemy attention and fire while armed allies sneak up on them. In reality, primary weapon hits are rare, but this seems like a logical and simple rule to add.
"Lets just all hug and shoot something!"
-WiskieTango
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but did you guys often acknowledge being even shot on your rifle? Personally I can count it on the fingers of one hand, in my whole Airsoft experience.
You whether don't see it nor feel it, and chances are if the rifle is hit, so is your arm//hand/face.

I mean don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but I think it's another complicated rule for something that barely happens once a game.
"...for something that barely happens once a game."
True, when something only happens maybe once a game, like your team beating mine, it can seem frustrating and pointless, but the one time it does happen feels extra awesome Tongue

I will always go for an exposed gun...but I don't know if I ever hit Smile

The dings on my guns and silencer are proof that I have been hit there a few times. I think it would be the sound that would have to tip me off. Wonder how others feel about it?

ps. you are so coming after me next game for the above comment!
(01-09-2010, 08:05 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: The dings on my guns and silencer are proof that I have been hit there a few times. I think it would be the sound that would have to tip me off. Wonder how others feel about it?

I do think pure weapon only hits are pretty rare and the times that my weapon has been hit, usually my body takes a few shot also, making the whole secondary thing mute. I do want to try this though since it could give secondaries a little more play, but only if it doesn't create a large disadvantage for those who don't have secondaries. Maybe try a morning game of elimination and see if the rule creates some sort of imbalance.
(01-09-2010, 08:05 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: "...for something that barely happens once a game."
True, when something only happens maybe once a game, like your team beating mine, it can seem frustrating and pointless, but the one time it does happen feels extra awesome Tongue

Now, now, no need for this kind of comment, I'm merely being nice and allowing you to catch up since you used to be almost always in the losing team before all your merry team of throat mics came in. But not to worry, we're almost even Tongue

Now back on topic, I'd try shooting too for an out of cover weapon, but I must admit it's pretty rare. Even my own gun, I always play it like it's a real one, and I don't take it out of cover unless I know it's very well hidden, with very low profile, or I'm about to shoot.
(01-09-2010, 08:51 PM)Ycare Wrote: your merry team of throat mics
Haha! Awesome.

Anyway, I will always shoot at a weapon sticking out of cover, providing I've confirmed that the person wielding said weapon is my opponent of course. I'm not sure how often I get hits though. I just think it's an interesting rule, that maybe won't come into play over the course of a day, but if it does, it seems like it would be a lot of fun.
"Lets just all hug and shoot something!"
-WiskieTango
(01-09-2010, 04:24 PM)GingaNinga Wrote: I like this rule because it will encourage the usage of the secondary weapon a little bit more. I often go full days without using the secondary, and would like to try and find ways to encourage it's use more.

I like above Ginga's idea and would be happy if I'll have a chance to use secondary for a few games in a day. However at the same time I also think that weapon hits hardly occur so I'm worried about that people will forget this rule even if this rule will be applied.

Although I might stray from the point, if the main objective of this rule change is increasing a usage of secondary how about following rule as cherry on tha cake ...
  • player can live by the time of getting 2 hits without re-spawan, being healed by a medic.
  • If you get hit first time you have to switch to secondary. After that you can't use primary again.
  • If you get hit second time you have to leave a field as usual.
(01-09-2010, 08:51 PM)Ycare Wrote: all your merry team of throat mics came in.

LOL nice work!!! Do you want to join the dark side Frenchie?
BAA BAA BANG!!
(02-09-2010, 10:22 AM)kiwiglen Wrote: Do you want to join the dark side Frenchie?

I thought you'd never ask! Where do I get those fancy radios?! Big Grin
Meet me in Akihabara and we will hook you up!! Wink
BAA BAA BANG!!